High CPU usage on NvIFRSetUpHWEncoder and NvIFRSetUpTargetBufferToSys

Hello,

I have been doing some performance measurements using the DXIFRShim sample, and I have started to notice that the shim layer seems to use a huge amount of CPU.

Some background first. Here is what I am using:

• System Specs
    • GRID K520
    • 4 GB RAM
    • Intel Xeon E3-2603 v3 in a VM. Has 2 CPU cores @1.6 GHz
  • Software
    • Capture SDK 5.0
    • Windows 8.1 64-bit
    • Game is Unreal Engine's first person shooter template (version 4.13)
    • DXIFRShim sample

The CPU measurement is done in a simple way: I use task manager to look at the percentages given for the game process.

Here is what I noticed:

• When the game is running without the shim layer (i.e. original .dll files), the CPU utilization % is about 22%.
  • When the game is running with DXIFRShim, the CPU utilization % is about 40%. This is almost double.

Considering that the whole point of the Capture SDK is to do much faster GPU encoding instead of CPU encoding, having the CPU utilization % to almost double is rather strange.

I went ahead to comment out huge chunks of code from NvIFREncoder.cpp, and found out that this line is the offender:

NVIFRRESULT nr = pIFR->NvIFRSetUpHWEncoder(&params);

Leaving this line in and commenting out everything after it (which includes the actual encoding and writing to video file) still results in high CPU utilization %. The moment this line is commented out, the CPU utilization goes back to the percentages as if the shim layer was not there. I found this rather strange since one would expect the majority of the work to be in the encoding loop, which would be the "while" loop containing "NvIFRTransferRenderTargetToHWEncoder();".

I am not able to look at the implementation of NvIFRSetUpHWEncoder itself, so I am wondering: why is the CPU usage rather high? Is there a way to avoid or reduce it while still being able to do GPU encoding?

Thanks!

Hi,

Any insights about this? Or is there no way around this and I’ll have to just live with it?