Histogram Sample

Dear All

I want to make a histogram with histogram sample (256 hist) of Cuda 9.

My images are stored in "unsigned char"s.

I converted the histogram sample to accept unsigned char instead of uint and it worked for GeForce 740M (Kepler cc 3.0) but not with P4000 (Pascal cc 6.1). In the latter I had to store the images in uint and ran the original histogram sample.

The histogram256kernel had a single instruction to access the images. Can I translate that instruction to permit to access to unsigned char (in the P4000)?

In the google searchs I found that there is other histogram algorithm that do not use atomic instructions and it is a lot faster. Can someone give a link for the sources of such algorithm?

Thanks

Luis Gonçalves

You should be able to create such an algorithm that runs correctly on P4000. Use standard methods for error isolation and debugging.

I used the same code in both GPUs. I commented the data access instruction in histogram256kernel and I had no error (of memory access) on the P4000 GPU. This is a memory access problem

I only changed the “uint” to “unsigned char” in the call and Bytecount = numberofbytes*size(uint) (this remained has the same if the data was uint). This in the GeForce 740M