incorrect results from atomicAdd (maybe the method is incorrect)

All,
It’s possible that my method is incorrect…BUT, I’m trying to implement an atomicAdd to build a counter in my kernel.
Here is the code:

//----------------------------------------------------------//

shared int check[1]; //declare 1 cell counter array

check[0]=0;                                    //initialize      (maybe the problem is here?)

int x = blockIdx.x*blockDim.x+threadIdx.x;
int y = blockIdx.y*blockDim.y+threadIdx.y;

if(x <= rows && y <= cols){
	atomicAdd(&check[0], 1);        //do the add
	atomic[x*cols+y] = check[0];  //write to an array for verification

//----------------------------------------------------------//

So, the problem is that when I print the “atomic” array from the host I just get all 9’s.
When I debug in cuda-gdb the atomicAdd works (changes check[0] from 0 to 1), then but in the next step check[0] becomes 9.

I’m pretty confused about this and would really appreciate any insight any of you might have!

I’m using a gtx285 primary card and gt 240 secondary card (cuda-gdb runs here) which have compute capabilities of 1.3 and 1.2, respectively.

You are almost there.

First, you’re right your initialization is incorrect.

You need a __syncthreads(). you might do:

if (0==threadIdx.x) check[0]=0;

__syncthreads();

The other problem is you actually throw out the very info you want to save. atomicAdd() returns the value… and that value is what you want to use and compare with.

In your current code you’re modifying check[0] with an atomicAdd() but then in the next line you query the same check[0] which may not be the same value you just added to because of thread races.

Easy fix…

if(x <= rows && y <= cols){

int value=atomicAdd(&check[0], 1); //do the add

atomic[x*cols+y] = value; //write to an array for verification

Note that “value” holds the value of check[0] BEFORE the add, not afterwards, so your stored values will include the value 0.