Infinite Boot Loop Issue with Cloned SSD on Jetson Orin Dev Kit

Hello,

I am currently using the Jetson Orin Development Kit. Recently, I cloned my original SSD to a new SSD, but I am experiencing an infinite boot loop when attempting to boot from the cloned SSD.

Current Situation

1. Successfully cloned the original SSD.
  2. Connected the cloned SSD to the Jetson Orin Development Kit.
  3. Configured the UEFI/BIOS settings to set the cloned SSD as the primary boot device.
  4. Upon booting, the Jetson Orin enters an infinite boot loop.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken

1. Checked Boot Logs: Attempted to access the terminal and serial console during boot to check logs, but did not find any specific errors.
  2. File System Integrity Check: Used the fsck command to verify the file system integrity of the cloned SSD.
  3. Reinstalled Bootloader: Booted from a USB drive and attempted to reinstall the bootloader in a chroot environment, but GRUB commands do not work on Jetson Orin.
  4. Reset UEFI/BIOS Settings: Restored settings to default but the issue persists.
  5. Firmware Update: Checked and updated the firmware to the latest version available for Jetson Orin.

Questions

1. Are there any other methods to resolve the infinite boot loop issue with a cloned SSD on the Jetson Orin Development Kit?
  2. I need advice on configuring CBoot settings or any other boot-related settings specific to Jetson Orin.
  3. Could you provide detailed steps to ensure that the root filesystem, initrd, and kernel images are correctly placed on the cloned SSD?

Any advice or similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Please get serial console log or we have no idea what is going on.

Please also specify what exactly you did with so-called clone.

Thank you for your response.

I will check the serial output and ask the question again comprehensively.

For now, I have several Orin dev kits.

When I say “clone,” it literally means copying the contents of one SSD to a new SSD exactly as they are.

Previously, I had perfectly flashed an SSD (at that time, I booted and used the Orin dev kit with this SSD). I cloned this SSD to a new SSD and then mounted this new SSD onto another Orin dev kit and changed the boot order to boot from this SSD, which caused the issue.

I will try the additional steps required to boot from the SSD, though it’s an unofficial solution, as described in the following link: GitHub - jetsonhacks/rootOnNVMe: Switch the rootfs to a NVMe SSD on the Jetson Xavier NX and Jetson AGX Xavier.

I am currently working on the original Orin, so I will gather the logs from the problematic Orin and ask for your help again comprehensively.

This is likely to cause a lot of permission issues if your copying means the cp command.
Please use this tool instead:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r36.3/DeveloperGuide/SD/FlashingSupport.html#backing-up-and-restoring-a-jetson-device

Thank you for replying.

This is our log from serial output

COM6_log_jetson.txt (34.3 KB)

I also think skipping the flashing step would make this issue.

When is the log captured?
Is the device able to boot up correctly before backing up/restoring?

yes it can boot up in emmc original boot disk

this log come up when boot in new cloned ssd( cloned from ssd which flash in other device)

this log is captured via putty serial port