Jetson Nano Production Module Low on Disk Space

Hello NVIDIA community! We have successfully designed and produced our first custom NVIDIA Jetson Nano carrier board for the Jetson Nano eMMC module. As you know, the production module offers a 16GB eMMC as a secondary storage medium (Disk space). This is too low for our robotics application, and we are critically short on disk space (< 1GB left).
I am looking for advice with regards to possible solutions to this problem, and I will try to list a couple of them that came to my mind (In order of preference from the best case to the worst case):
1 - Replace the 16GB eMMC chip (on the Jetson Nano module) with a larger one (32GB, 64GB).
2 - Make the storage partitions efficient (We are running Ubuntu 20.04 with ROS installed and we are using about 12GB of /dev/mmcblk0p1).
3 - Install SD card or eMMC on our carrier board (New design, project release date will be further pushed).
4 - Using an external USB based flash space to extend our disk space (We are very short on space and adding a USB flash drive will lead to the board not fitting in the product).

Any kind of help is appreciated!

We do not support to replace with eMMC on module, customers usually take 3 or 4 as solution.
You may also refer to How to save space on jetson nano disk (emmc) - Jetson & Embedded Systems / Jetson Nano - NVIDIA Developer Forums or Nano’s EMMC storage space is 16g, so it is impossible to install the smallest system and AI related components at the same time - Jetson & Embedded Systems / Jetson Nano - NVIDIA Developer Forums

1 Like

The thing is that I don’t need the AI related packages, I just want an operating system to be able to use ROS 2. I am following a terminal based method to flash the OS using flash.sh which flashes an L4T based on Ubuntu 18.04, which I am upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04. Only doing that is leaving me with less than 4GB of space left. Do I really need SDK packages?

Hi,
There is a setup for running DeepStream SDK:
DS app running on SD, not running on eMMC - Part II - #5 by DaneLLL

If you don’t need the packages, you can install only system image and then remove

$ sudo apt remove --purge thunderbird* libreoffice* chromium*