[MAJOR] KDE Plasma Desktop Frameskip/Lag issues on driver 555

Hello,
There seems to have been some changes in driver 555 which have resulted in the same issue as reported in my github for open source to also affect the proprietary driver now:

EDIT: The solution was to add NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0 to the kernel load and all issues were fixed!

P.S. Firstly, sorry for the ping but would like to thank to all nvidia developers for making explicit sync happen, wayland has been fully resolved! You guys are amazing and put a big effort thank you all!

Hello. Could you please confirm if I’m correct: NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0 would go into /boot/loader/entries/{entryName}.conf under options (for systemd-boot)? At least that’s what I understood by add to the kernel load, but it didn’t seem to work for me. My picture still has significant frame drops (tho not necessarily when opening apps so maybe a different issue?). I move a window around and one moment it will be smooth and the next it will be really choppy (the same with scrolling etc.). I thank you in advance, I was waiting for proper Wayland support for so long and now that I have it it still works worse than 535.

I put it in my /etc/kernel/cmdline as nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0 and then ran sudo reinstall-kernels.
For grub system it should be in /etc/default/grub and then in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0" after which run the update-grub or the grub-mkconfig command to rebuild kernels.

Oh my god, nvidia.NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0, why didn’t I think of that. I feel like such a dumbass. Thank you very much! Works great now. I hope you have a pleasant day/night!

1 Like

Weird tho’, I’ve ran NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=1 previously and had no issues, I don’t think 550 have this problem (the proprietary module).

Ohh i posted on the 555 bug topic, but here also just in case.
Having major framespikes with firmware enabled on RTX 3080, MATE Desktop, X11

Thank you! This made my system so much smoother.