NEXUS Only for windows ? WHY not for linux ?

I have to agree with tmurray, xp is old… But maybe you can run win7 and skip vista?

Running vista at work now, great to finally have an indexed hd :)

+1 to have something alike on Linux and Mac too; very disappointing if that kind of tool remains Windows-only.

I also strongly disagree. First, Linux will be much more important financially for NVIDIA. How many people are there that have computational science problems that require them to use CUDA? Of these, how many have the programming ability and time to pick it up? I think the number is pretty small, but the institutions that employ these people, whether large academic labs or financial firms, can spend a great deal of money on large purchases. And, clearly the places that do large scale computing use Linux. The idea that there are so many amateur scientists who want to program CUDA on their Windows desktop that NVIDIA could make a business out of them seems absurd to me. Of course, the amateur/desktop market is still relatively important, especially given that that’s how many of the people who end up being able to spend a lot of institutional money get started, but I think the focus should be on the larger customers.

Now, on to Eclipse specifically, in my view, the most exciting thing about Fermi (besides the double precision performance) is the C++ support, which will allow CUDA code to be incorporated much more easily into large scale c++ code bases. The hacky, ugly code necessary before was a real negative to people in charge of developing high quality, critically important c++ software. It stinks of academia where people just have to write something that works a couple times so that they can fill out tables in a paper. And, as others have said, given that Eclipse is the standard IDE for people writing large scale c++ software, I think its support should be a top priority. Just to give you an example off the top of my head, I can think of 3 high-frequency trading firms who together make up about 10% of daily NYSE volume, and all of them use only Eclipse (and would not dream of switching to Windows). These guys could afford quite a few Fermi cards.

And Tim, feel free to email me for more specifics if that would be helpful.

Few cents from me.

Windows HPC Server 2008 has got good reviews. MS Research is also working on integrating GPUs to it. MS and NVIDIA are collaborating on this front… So, there is a market…

MS 2008 has got pretty neat GUIs to control your cluster from one point, install via network, improved MPI (uses RDMA, NetworkDirect where available), SOA architecture (A desktop Excel could use a cluster as backend)…, MPI tracing etc…

So, I dont understand why people have to go gaga about Linux. I could understand if people debate about AMD/Intel.

Windows and Linux does not matter… The one that offers a good integrated cluster management framework would be the choice…

Dear S,

i’m pretty sure the scourge of people developing in linux feel that it does matter.

//j

Sure J. I am neither for win nor for lin.

Hmm… I was just meaning MPI is OS independent and if your problem is OS independent (purely compute), then you just need a good CPU.

Is there a final release date? I think this tool is exactly what i need atm.

We’re vicious, aren’t we :D