Nsys measure memory

Hi!

I would like to get information about the memory used by the GPU. Is it available into the SQLite report generated by nsys?

Tanks

Sorry for the delay, what information about memory usage are you looking for?

Memory timings or memory sizes or both?

Hello, I have a similar question about getting memory usage information from SQLite. I can see the memory usage shown in nsys UI, but I cannot find the same info in SQLite. At the beginning, I thought I can get this info from ‘localMemoryTotal’ column in CUPTI_ACTIVITY_KIND_KERNEL table in SQLite; however, in nsys UI there are periods where memory is still consumed without any kernels running. So I highly doubt that the column contains all the information to re-create the same memory usage line as in nsys UI.

Thank you for your help.

The initial release of the Memory Usage graph did not export into the sqlite. The next release, currently scheduled for mid-September, should add that information to the sqlite.

Thank you for the quick reply. As far as I know, Deep Learning Profiler (DLProf), which is based on nsys, provides batch size recommendations based on memory usage information. So how does DLProf get/calculate this memory usage information? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, I get the same problem with you recently. Have you solved this problem?

@skottapalli what is the state on memory utilizations in sqlite?

When you export the report file to SQLite, you can access the CUDA GPU memory usage events in the SQLite file. The memory utilization graph shown in the GUI timeline is derived from these events. See documentation/nsys-exporter/exported_data.html documentation page in the nsys package. Pasting a screenshot here

1 Like