Nvbootctrl shows incorrect status after UEFI capsule update

After upgrading from 35.4.1 to 35.5.0 via UEFI Capsule update, nvbootctrl dump-slots-info should show “Capsule update status: 1” indicating a successful capsule update. However, instead of showing 1, nvbootctrl shows “Capsule update status: 0”.

Error: null input file!
Current version: 35.5.0
Capsule update status: 0
Current bootloader slot: B
Active bootloader slot: B
num_slots: 2
Error: null input file!

Upgrading from 35.3.1 to 35.4.1 or 35.5.0 to 35.5.0 (same version) both show the expected result from nvbootctrl.

This effects the following devices for me:

• xavier-nx-emmc
  • xavier-nx-devkit (non-emmc)
  • orin-nx
  • orin-agx
  • orin-nano

The only device not affected was the Xavier-AGX which is interesting because it requires having the ESP on the eMMC for in order to set UEFI variables so it’s UEFI variables seem to work differently and avoid this issue somehow. [1]

[1] Setting UEFI variables using the DefaultVariableDxe only works if ESP is on eMMC, but not on an NVMe drive

Hi jhoffer,

Which device are you using now for R35.4.1 to R35.5.0?
They may use different capsule payload for different module/platform.

Please check the log when you are generating capsule payload and also the full log after you run reboot command to start update.

I used the following devices, using a separate UEFI capsule update for each device type. The updates apply successfully; I can see the version change from 35.4.1 to 35.5.0 but the nvbootctrl status does not reflect this change.

• xavier-nx-emmc
  • xavier-nx-devkit (non-emmc)
  • orin-nx
  • orin-agx
  • orin-nano

I think we can just focus on the flow for specific device.
Here, let’s talk about “orin-agx”.

Do you mean the capsule update is performed successfully on AGX Orin but the nvbootctrl reports the unexpected status?

I would like to check the log including the whole update flow in your case.
(from you put the capsule on your board and the commands you run to trigger update, to the update success)
Please run sudo nvbootctrl dump-slots-info before and after the update process.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.