Nvidia SDK Manager can not go to Step 3

Dear Support,

I have downloaded the SDK manager in my Ubuntu PC.

I have performed step 1 and step 2 successfully.

And also, I have installed OS on my Jetson AGX Xavier successfully too.

But when I try to enter the Jetson’s username and password in SDK manager to flash the JetPack 4.2, the SDK manager can not go to Step 3.

I have already checked the all things SDK manager’s advice:
1. The device is connected to this host machine with a USB cable.
2. Ubuntu ‘System configuration wizard’ is completed on the device.
3. Jetson’s Ubuntu OS is up and running
4. Jetson usb device mode service is started successfully.

Could you please advise me how to solve the problem??

I attached some screenshot to help you understand.

Thank you.

_
Snyoll.

Once first boot setup is done the next step is to install optional packages. This is done via ssh to the account you added during first boot setup. Assuming your setup worked (and it sounds like it did), then you’ll need to be able see the Xavier via ethernet. It is the ethernet which is probably failing, and most likely due to security on the PC not randomly allowing this device.

If you have the Jetson booted and monitor “dmesg --follow” on the host PC, then what do you see as you connect the USB-C cable? You should see something for a network interface via cdc_ncm, along with a MAC address. The log will contain something similar to this:

[ 9687.645942] cdc_ncm 2-3:1.5: MAC-Address: 96:b1:c6:05:70:9e
[ 9687.646064] cdc_ncm 2-3:1.5 usb0: register 'cdc_ncm' at usb-0000:01:00.0-3, CDC NCM, 96:b1:c6:05:70:9e
[ 9687.646099] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ncm

As a result, ifconfig should see a new device with that MAC address. However, if security or configuration has been blocking this, then there won’t be an IP address assigned. The ifconfig would contain something similar to this:

enp1s0f0u3i5: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::9168:1984:7fe6:783d  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 96:b1:c6:05:70:9e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 119  bytes 13506 (13.1 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 49  bytes 8276 (8.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Should this have address “192.168.55.100”, then it should work. If not, then you will have to enable automatic IP selection and make sure nothing like security is blocking. Upon success you will be able to ping the Jetson, which will have IP address 192.168.55.1: “ping 192.168.55.1”.

Should this not have an address, then one way to set it up is either via the network tools on Ubuntu’s menu bar, or else via “nm-connection-editor”. Once this is done you will see 192.168.55.100 at the PC any time you connect the USB-C to a running Xavier.

As an alternative, if you are using wired ethernet and the host PC can ping that address, then you should be able to ssh to that address and connect via the newly created account. If you substitute this address for the one in the GUI listing 192.168.55.1, then you should be able to proceed.

FYI, you can deselect flash and just add components, so you don’t have to reflash to contiue.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!!

Actually, I didn’t understand your advice well because I’ve rarely dealt with Linux and embedded system.
However, as you said, there seemed to be a problem with Jetson’s network.
I used a Wi-Fi module to connect the network to Jetson, but I changed it to a LAN cable.
In addition, I also change a laptop, which is used as host PC, to a desktopand change a jetpack4.2 to jetpack4.3, so everything is well installed.

Thank you very much for your advice!

WiFi requires extra setup, and so I am not surprised you had problems with that. Wired ethernet tends to work without much effort.