OpenCL on CPU?

Hi All,

I would like to know whether I can run the programs in OpenCL SDK with CPU as the device instead of the GPU.
For example, if I run Bandwidth test on the CPU, it would give me the CPU bandwidth and not the GPU.

Is it possible?

Mayank,

Nvidia supports only GPU implementation. You can use AMD CPU implementation to run on CPU.

You could also check [url=“The Official NVIDIA Forums | NVIDIA”]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=153438[/url]
It appears to support x86.
Jan

I would like to see something like this too…
is this still a concern?

If it is, are we legally allowed to create “wrappers” for openCL?
as a linux programmer, it shouldn’t be too hard to use dynamic loading of eg openCLnv.so and openCLamd.so, remap the device id’s and just pass the function arguments, which would make this functionality available for linux, thus allowing “true heterogenous computing”.
opencl host functions will be a bit slower, but you got what you need

but before I take this into consideration, I’d like to know if somebody already made this :)

Is their plans for Nvidia to support OpenCL on the CPU in the future?

Or have the opted to only go with OpenCL GPU support permanently?

Being that NVIDIA doesn’t sell a CPU i’d say the chances are nil. It’s a shame lazy Intel hasn’t come out with something as without good solid CPU support many of the benefits of OpenCL are useless. I can’t be the only one that doesn’t want to use two different APIs for the CPU and GPU.

Thanks for the response.