Overlapping GPU and CPU computation?

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem running CUDA and CPU code concurrently. My understanding (after looking at page 13 of http://www.nvidia.com/content/GTC/documents/1122_GTC09.pdf ) is that it is possible to launch a CUDA kernel asynchronously and carry out work on the CPU while the kernel is executing. Consider the example below:

Sample.cu

__global__ void CUDA_Long_Kernel(float* num)

{

int x = blockIdx.x * blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;

int y = blockIdx.y * blockDim.y + threadIdx.y;

for (int i=0; i< 90000; i++)

{

num[y*blockDim.x + x] = 0;

__syncthreads();

}

}

extern "C" void CUDA_Long_Kernel(dim3 threadsPerBlock, dim3 numBlocks, cudaStream_t stream, float* pos)

{

CUDA_Long_Kernel<<<numBlocks, threadsPerBlock, 0, stream>>>(pos);

}

main.cpp

#include <stdio.h>

#include <cuda.h>

#include <cutil.h>

#include <cuda_runtime_api.h>

#include <cutil_inline_drvapi.h>

#include <cutil_inline_runtime.h>

#include <windows.h>

extern "C" void CUDA_Long_Kernel(dim3 threadsPerBlock, dim3 numBlocks, cudaStream_t stream, float* pos);

int main(int argc, char* argv[])

{

cudaStream_t stream;

cudaStreamCreate(&stream);

dim3 threadsPerBlock(16, 16);

dim3 numBlocks(30, 30, 1);

float* pos;

cudaMalloc((void**)&pos, numBlocks.x * numBlocks.y * threadsPerBlock.x * threadsPerBlock.y);

unsigned int hTimer;

cutCreateTimer(&hTimer);

cutResetTimer(hTimer);

cutStartTimer(hTimer);

//GPU work - (this takes around 530ms on my machine)

CUDA_Long_Kernel(threadsPerBlock, numBlocks, stream, pos);

//CPU work - just waste some time (this takes around 93ms on my machine)

int x = 0;

for (int i=0; i< 5000000; i++)

{

x =pow(x,(double)2);        

}

cudaThreadSynchronize();

printf("Processing time: %f msec  - %i\n", cutGetTimerValue(hTimer), x);

cutDeleteTimer(hTimer);

cudaFree(pos);

cudaStreamDestroy(stream);

getchar();

}

If I execute the CPU work alone it takes about 93ms and the GPU work alone takes around 530ms (on a Core i7 930 with a GeForce GTX470). When I run the example above, the code takes about 630ms. Shouldn’t the GPU work hide the work being carried out on the CPU? i.e. I would expect the total runtime to be somewhere around 530ms. Can anyone please shed some light on why this is happening?

Thanks

Steven

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem running CUDA and CPU code concurrently. My understanding (after looking at page 13 of http://www.nvidia.com/content/GTC/documents/1122_GTC09.pdf ) is that it is possible to launch a CUDA kernel asynchronously and carry out work on the CPU while the kernel is executing. Consider the example below:

Sample.cu

__global__ void CUDA_Long_Kernel(float* num)

{

int x = blockIdx.x * blockDim.x + threadIdx.x;

int y = blockIdx.y * blockDim.y + threadIdx.y;

for (int i=0; i< 90000; i++)

{

num[y*blockDim.x + x] = 0;

__syncthreads();

}

}

extern "C" void CUDA_Long_Kernel(dim3 threadsPerBlock, dim3 numBlocks, cudaStream_t stream, float* pos)

{

CUDA_Long_Kernel<<<numBlocks, threadsPerBlock, 0, stream>>>(pos);

}

main.cpp

#include <stdio.h>

#include <cuda.h>

#include <cutil.h>

#include <cuda_runtime_api.h>

#include <cutil_inline_drvapi.h>

#include <cutil_inline_runtime.h>

#include <windows.h>

extern "C" void CUDA_Long_Kernel(dim3 threadsPerBlock, dim3 numBlocks, cudaStream_t stream, float* pos);

int main(int argc, char* argv[])

{

cudaStream_t stream;

cudaStreamCreate(&stream);

dim3 threadsPerBlock(16, 16);

dim3 numBlocks(30, 30, 1);

float* pos;

cudaMalloc((void**)&pos, numBlocks.x * numBlocks.y * threadsPerBlock.x * threadsPerBlock.y);

unsigned int hTimer;

cutCreateTimer(&hTimer);

cutResetTimer(hTimer);

cutStartTimer(hTimer);

//GPU work - (this takes around 530ms on my machine)

CUDA_Long_Kernel(threadsPerBlock, numBlocks, stream, pos);

//CPU work - just waste some time (this takes around 93ms on my machine)

int x = 0;

for (int i=0; i< 5000000; i++)

{

x =pow(x,(double)2);        

}

cudaThreadSynchronize();

printf("Processing time: %f msec  - %i\n", cutGetTimerValue(hTimer), x);

cutDeleteTimer(hTimer);

cudaFree(pos);

cudaStreamDestroy(stream);

getchar();

}

If I execute the CPU work alone it takes about 93ms and the GPU work alone takes around 530ms (on a Core i7 930 with a GeForce GTX470). When I run the example above, the code takes about 630ms. Shouldn’t the GPU work hide the work being carried out on the CPU? i.e. I would expect the total runtime to be somewhere around 530ms. Can anyone please shed some light on why this is happening?

Thanks

Steven

Are you compiling in Debug mode? There are reports that this disables the asynchronous launch (as does using the profiler).

Are you compiling in Debug mode? There are reports that this disables the asynchronous launch (as does using the profiler).

No I’m compiling in release mode with no profiler attached. The kernel launch is technically asynchronous in that if I put a printf after the CPU code and a printf in the CUDA kernel, the CPU printf shows up first. The problem is that apparently the device is waiting for the CPU to finish before starting to execute the kernel.

Steven

No I’m compiling in release mode with no profiler attached. The kernel launch is technically asynchronous in that if I put a printf after the CPU code and a printf in the CUDA kernel, the CPU printf shows up first. The problem is that apparently the device is waiting for the CPU to finish before starting to execute the kernel.

Steven

I also tried executing the simple streams example provided in the SDK. As you can see in the image attached something is terribly wrong as the time taken when using streams is practically identical to the time taken without using streams :s Can anyone please shed some light on what is wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Steven
simplestream.png

I also tried executing the simple streams example provided in the SDK. As you can see in the image attached something is terribly wrong as the time taken when using streams is practically identical to the time taken without using streams :s Can anyone please shed some light on what is wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Try launching the kernel once before starting the timer - maybe there is some CPU-bound one-time-initialization going on.

Try launching the kernel once before starting the timer - maybe there is some CPU-bound one-time-initialization going on.