Portable pinned memory deallocation

I’m implementing a pool of pinned host buffers to be shared by multiple GPU contexts. To do so, context 1 allocates a heap using cuMemHostAlloc and CU_MEMHOSTALLOC_PORTABLE. When context 2 joins in and starts requiring buffers from the pool, it exceeds the capacity of the heap and decides to replace it by a larger heap, again allocating a larger segment of portable pinned memory. If context 1 is not holding any reference to the first heap, then context 2 may call cuMemFreeHost on it, returning CUDA_ERROR_UNKNOWN.

Is it possible that portable pinned memory can only be used by multiple contexts, but still needs to be freed by the same context who allocated it? Would that be a bug or an undocumented limitation? Any ideas? I noticed this behavior with both the 195.62 and 196.21 drivers.

Hi everyone,

Interestingly, it seems that’s deallocation from another thread is working, but that CUDA is broken : if the thread that allocated the memory is dead by the time you deallocate the buffer, you have a problem, otherwise it looks ok.

Appart from that issue (which we can quite easily avoid if we can make sure that all threads are alive), i’m also interested in knowing whether this is “officially” a legal thing to deallocate a buffer from any context. It’s quite important because otherwise we’ll have to keep track of who allocated every piece of data. In the case of the producer-consummer paradigm (with multiple producers), that would make a big difference for instance.

Just my 2 cents,

Cédric

PS: I enclosed the little repro case: (comment the #define TRIGGER_CUDA_BUG to have the problem to disappear).

[codebox]

#include <cuda.h>

#include <cuda_runtime_api.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#include <unistd.h>

#include <pthread.h>

#define TRIGGER_CUDA_BUG 1

float *buffer;

size_t len = 4096*4096;

int reached = 0;

pthread_cond_t cond = PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER;

pthread_mutex_t mutex = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;