Possible bug in reduction routine from the CUDA 7 SDK

We are building a tool to expose memory model bugs of GPU programs.
It works by statically instrumenting the code (with SASSI) to buffer the shared and
global data for as long as possible without violating the semantics of fence instructions.
Any program failure that results from such buffering indicates the presence of subtle memory
model bugs in the program.

Using this tool on reduction routine from the CUDA 7 SDK we found possible bug.

Our tool indicates missing synchronization on shared variable.

After manual analysis I figured inside device reduceBlock() first four writes on shared variable “sdata” are synchronized with __syncthread but the last six writes are not synchronized. After inserting __syncthreads after each of those writes the program runs correctly with our tool.

I wonder if this is indeed a real bug and inserting syncthreads is the right way to solve the problem.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

threadFenceReduction_kernel.cuh is shown below:

/*
 * Copyright 1993-2015 NVIDIA Corporation.  All rights reserved.
 * Please refer to the NVIDIA end user license agreement (EULA) associated
 * with this source code for terms and conditions that govern your use of
 * this software. Any use, reproduction, disclosure, or distribution of
 * this software and related documentation outside the terms of the EULA
 * is strictly prohibited.
 */

/*
    Parallel reduction kernels
*/

#ifndef _REDUCE_KERNEL_H_
#define _REDUCE_KERNEL_H_

#include <device_functions.h>

/*
    Parallel sum reduction using shared memory
    - takes log(n) steps for n input elements
    - uses n/2 threads
    - only works for power-of-2 arrays

This version adds multiple elements per thread sequentially.  This reduces the overall
    cost of the algorithm while keeping the work complexity O(n) and the step complexity O(log n).
    (Brent's Theorem optimization)

See the CUDA SDK "reduction" sample for more information.
*/

template <unsigned int blockSize>
__device__ void
reduceBlock(volatile float *sdata, float mySum, const unsigned int tid)
{
    sdata[tid] = mySum;
    __syncthreads();

// do reduction in shared mem
    if (blockSize >= 512)
    {
        if (tid < 256)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid + 256];
        }

__syncthreads();
    }

if (blockSize >= 256)
    {
        if (tid < 128)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid + 128];
        }

__syncthreads();
    }

if (blockSize >= 128)
    {
        if (tid <  64)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid +  64];
        }

__syncthreads();
    }

if (tid < 32)
    {
        if (blockSize >=  64)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid + 32];
        }
		__syncthreads(); // added by mohammad (originally missing) --------------------

if (blockSize >=  32)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid + 16];
        }

if (blockSize >=  16)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid +  8];
        }

if (blockSize >=   8)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid +  4];
        }

if (blockSize >=   4)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid +  2];
        }

if (blockSize >=   2)
        {
            sdata[tid] = mySum = mySum + sdata[tid +  1];
        }
    }
}

template <unsigned int blockSize, bool nIsPow2>
__device__ void
reduceBlocks(const float *g_idata, volatile float *g_odata, unsigned int n)
{
    extern __shared__ float sdata[];

// perform first level of reduction,
    // reading from global memory, writing to shared memory
    unsigned int tid = threadIdx.x;
    unsigned int i = blockIdx.x*(blockSize*2) + threadIdx.x;
    unsigned int gridSize = blockSize*2*gridDim.x;
    float mySum = 0;

// we reduce multiple elements per thread.  The number is determined by the
    // number of active thread blocks (via gridDim).  More blocks will result
    // in a larger gridSize and therefore fewer elements per thread
    while (i < n)
    {
        mySum += g_idata[i];

// ensure we don't read out of bounds -- this is optimized away for powerOf2 sized arrays
        if (nIsPow2 || i + blockSize < n)
            mySum += g_idata[i+blockSize];

i += gridSize;
    }

// do reduction in shared mem
    reduceBlock<blockSize>(sdata, mySum, tid);

// write result for this block to global mem
    if (tid == 0) g_odata[blockIdx.x] = sdata[0];
}

__global__ void
reduceMultiPass(const float *g_idata, float *g_odata, unsigned int n)
{
    reduceBlocks<blockSize, nIsPow2>(g_idata, g_odata, n);
}

// Global variable used by reduceSinglePass to count how many blocks have finished
__device__ unsigned int retirementCount = 0;

cudaError_t setRetirementCount(int retCnt)
{
    return cudaMemcpyToSymbol(retirementCount, &retCnt, sizeof(unsigned int), 0, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
}

// This reduction kernel reduces an arbitrary size array in a single kernel invocation
// It does so by keeping track of how many blocks have finished.  After each thread
// block completes the reduction of its own block of data, it "takes a ticket" by
// atomically incrementing a global counter.  If the ticket value is equal to the number
// of thread blocks, then the block holding the ticket knows that it is the last block
// to finish.  This last block is responsible for summing the results of all the other
// blocks.
//
// In order for this to work, we must be sure that before a block takes a ticket, all
// of its memory transactions have completed.  This is what __threadfence() does -- it
// blocks until the results of all outstanding memory transactions within the
// calling thread are visible to all other threads.
//
// For more details on the reduction algorithm (notably the multi-pass approach), see
// the "reduction" sample in the CUDA SDK.
__global__ void reduceSinglePass(const float *g_idata, volatile float *g_odata, unsigned int n)
{

//
    // PHASE 1: Process all inputs assigned to this block
    //

reduceBlocks<blockSize, nIsPow2>(g_idata, g_odata, n);

//
    // PHASE 2: Last block finished will process all partial sums
    //

if (gridDim.x > 1)
    {
        const unsigned int tid = threadIdx.x;
        __shared__ bool amLast;
        extern float __shared__ smem[];

// wait until all outstanding memory instructions in this thread are finished
        __threadfence();

// Thread 0 takes a ticket
        if (tid==0)
        {
            unsigned int ticket = atomicInc(&retirementCount, gridDim.x);
            // If the ticket ID is equal to the number of blocks, we are the last block!
            amLast = (ticket == gridDim.x-1);
        }

__syncthreads();

// The last block sums the results of all other blocks
        if (amLast)
        {
            int i = tid;
            float mySum = 0;

while (i < gridDim.x)
            {
                mySum += g_odata[i];
                i += blockSize;
            }

reduceBlock<blockSize>(smem, mySum, tid);

if (tid==0)
            {
                g_odata[0] = smem[0];

// reset retirement count so that next run succeeds
                retirementCount = 0;
            }
        }
    }
}

bool isPow2(unsigned int x)
{
    return ((x&(x-1))==0);
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Wrapper function for kernel launch
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
extern "C"
void reduce(int size, int threads, int blocks, float *d_idata, float *d_odata)
{
    dim3 dimBlock(threads, 1, 1);
    dim3 dimGrid(blocks, 1, 1);
    int smemSize = (threads <= 32) ? 2 * threads * sizeof(float) : threads * sizeof(float);

// choose which of the optimized versions of reduction to launch
    if (isPow2(size))
    {
        switch (threads)
        {
            case 512:
                reduceMultiPass<512, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 256:
                reduceMultiPass<256, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 128:
                reduceMultiPass<128, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 64:
                reduceMultiPass< 64, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 32:
                reduceMultiPass< 32, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 16:
                reduceMultiPass< 16, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  8:
                reduceMultiPass<  8, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  4:
                reduceMultiPass<  4, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  2:
                reduceMultiPass<  2, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  1:
                reduceMultiPass<  1, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        switch (threads)
        {
            case 512:
                reduceMultiPass<512, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 256:
                reduceMultiPass<256, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 128:
                reduceMultiPass<128, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 64:
                reduceMultiPass< 64, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 32:
                reduceMultiPass< 32, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 16:
                reduceMultiPass< 16, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  8:
                reduceMultiPass<  8, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  4:
                reduceMultiPass<  4, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  2:
                reduceMultiPass<  2, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  1:
                reduceMultiPass<  1, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;
        }
    }
}

extern "C"
void reduceSinglePass(int size, int threads, int blocks, float *d_idata, float *d_odata)
{

dim3 dimBlock(threads, 1, 1);
    dim3 dimGrid(blocks, 1, 1);
    int smemSize = threads * sizeof(float);

//IAT_start_kernel("reduceSinglePass", blocks, threads);
    // choose which of the optimized versions of reduction to launch
    if (isPow2(size))
    {
        switch (threads)
        {
            case 512:
                reduceSinglePass<512, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 256:
                reduceSinglePass<256, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 128:
                reduceSinglePass<128, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 64:
                reduceSinglePass< 64, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 32:
                reduceSinglePass< 32, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 16:
                reduceSinglePass< 16, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  8:
                reduceSinglePass<  8, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  4:
                reduceSinglePass<  4, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  2:
                reduceSinglePass<  2, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  1:
                reduceSinglePass<  1, true><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        switch (threads)
        {
            case 512:
                reduceSinglePass<512, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 256:
                reduceSinglePass<256, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 128:
                reduceSinglePass<128, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 64:
                reduceSinglePass< 64, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 32:
                reduceSinglePass< 32, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case 16:
                reduceSinglePass< 16, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  8:
                reduceSinglePass<  8, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  4:
                reduceSinglePass<  4, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  2:
                reduceSinglePass<  2, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;

case  1:
                reduceSinglePass<  1, false><<< dimGrid, dimBlock, smemSize >>>(d_idata, d_odata, size);
                break;
        }
    }
    //IAT_end_kernel("reduceSinglePass");
}

#endif // #ifndef _REDUCE_KERNEL_H_

The last 6 reduction steps are performed at the intra-warp level (if (tid < 32)). This particular code took advantage of warp-synchronous programming. Combining warp-synchronous behavior with the fact that the shared variable pointer is marked as volatile means that no actual hazard exists (the code will work correctly on all currently available architectures).

However warp-synchronous programming has always been a somewhat gray area, as it depended on the the definition of the warp not changing, and other factors as well.

CUDA 9 introduces cooperative groups (CG), which is a programming methodology that should be used in place of (“implicit”) warp-synchronous programming.

You may want to review the equivalent sample code in CUDA 9 RC to see the impact of that. Therefore, currently, the “right way to solve the problem” is to use CG.

I found the same problem some time ago:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/642819/?comment=4023184

Initially I thought the problem was with the atomic operations earlier on in my code but eventually I traced it to the parallel reduction at the end which I had taken straight from the SDK. In my case I found that only one additional __syncthreads() was required.

Actually, reviewing my full code again it is possible that in my case I introduced the problem by inserting the parallel reduction into a loop.

In particular, without the additional __syncthreads() it is possible for the second warp (tid 32 to 63) to continue execution and overwrite sdata[tid] before the first warp (tid 0 to 31) has executed sdata[tid] += sdata[tid + 32].