Power requirements for CUDA supporting graphics cards

Hello to all,
I plan on purchasing the nvidia geforce 9800 GT for CUDA development. As I understand this card requires that power should be
directly supplied to the graphics card. However in the environment that I hope to use the graphics card I will not be able to provide the
external power. Will this have any effect on the CUDA programs, performance wise or will any other issues come up ?

Thanks in advance.

If you expect the card to work properly, this is a requirement, its not optional.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.

You are looking for the new and/or upcoming “eco” or “green editions.” These will stay within PCIe spec, ie below 75W, and therefore need no external power supply.

Watch out though, as Nvidia and partners marketing schemes makes it difficult to distinguish between a new card that will work and an old card that you’ll have to toss away …

Hi,

I was not aware of this. Thanks for the info. Think getting a “eco/green” edition will be the best option for me now.

Otherwise I was looking at the geforce 9500 GT which has only 32 cores compared to the 112 in the 9800 GT.

You can also use 4-pin-to-PCIe-6-pin converters.They were included with my 9800GT (Gainward). I use the 9800GT in an HP-PC with a mini-ATX motherboard. Space is a little tight, but it fits (barely). The power supply is 300 W, below Gainward’s stated requirements, but the card works without any problems. Only had to throw out a WLAN and a TV-Tuner card in adjacent slots, because they reduced the airflow to the graphics card. Without that the graphics card would overheat, leaving me with a red-channel only hard-to-read display. The card survived that and has been running flawlessly ever since (about 6 months).

There is a “green” 9600gt with 64 cores and 256bit/1.8GHz memory in the pipe as well. At 59W this would - compared to the “green” 9800gt - leave you with an extra 16W for perhaps another harddisk or DVD-drive spinning.

Guys, i have an 9600GT. The VC came with one 6-pin cable with connect to two “IDE’s” power connector. I bought a new power supply, a Corsair 520HX, and this one came with one direct cable 6-pin to connect in the video card. This connector works like the one who came with the board, or is better i use the 6-pin → 2 IDE that came togheter with the board?

sorry for change the point of the topic.

won’t make any difference - I tried both with a 9800GT - I presently use two 6-pin connectors (from the power supply) to feed a GTX260 and a 2xIDE->6-pin (using only one of the two IDEs) to feed a 9800GT from the same power (600W) supply - GTX260 in a 16x slot and 9800GT in an 8x slot (which unfortunately brings both to 8x, a limitation of my MB). The 9800GT previously happily ran fed by the 2xIDE->6-pin from a 300W supply, but trying to run both cards from 300W did not work - the cooling fans ran, but not much else.

Thanks, i was worried, because my friend has burn his 9600GT using only one of IDE connector, i still don’t understand how he make, but, thanks, i’ll use the direct connector from power supply.

Hi,

I am using currently HP dc 7700 SFF, which has only a 240W power supply. I want to change my (CUDA non enabled) Quadro NVS 280 to something CUDA-enabled.

What is the most powerful card that I can upgrade to without changing the power supply?
Any suggestions?

Tnx