Sharpen Your Edge AI and Robotics Skills with the NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit

Originally published at: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/sharpen-your-edge-ai-and-robotics-skills-with-the-nvidia-jetson-nano-developer-kit/

Are you interested in getting started with edge AI and robotics but not sure where to begin?  Look at the relaunched NVIDIA Jetson Nano Developer Kit available for purchase from partners starting November 25, 2022 in the US and worldwide in December. Introduced 3 years ago, the NVIDIA Jetson Nano is a low-cost, entry-level AI…

is it the same as the jetson nano released a few years ago on the hardware? I thought it’s EOL.

it’s unclear about the software support though, are we stuck with ubuntu 18.04 for good with jetson nano?

2 Likes

Does this post mean that we can expect JetPack updates to continue to support the Jetson Nano? You really should do that, it is an excellent platform for makers and not doing so will make obsolete the equipment we purchased.

To partially answer my own question:
Jetson Nano 2GB is EOL.
Jetson Nano 4GB is revived and we can continue to use.
But the software will be stuck with Jetpack4 and ubuntu 18.04(which will be EOL in 4 months).

Jetson Nano Developer Kit V3 has two 15-pin 2-lane MIPI CSI-2 camera connectors vs. one on old Jetson Nano DK.

Wutt??

I thought this was EOL?? I have a few of these and was dissapointed you EOL them after only a year after I bought it…

Does this mean latest JetPack will be available for Nano 4GB??

2 Likes

I probably spent too much money on a Jetson Xavier due to the EOL on the Nano. If you’re now going to keep this great little module alive, then please get Jetpack up to 5.0.

1 Like

Please, please, please support the Nano! Nano & its bus(es) are for AI what RPi is for general computing. Thank you for leading the way, but it is very DEC-ish (Digital Equipment Company) of you to redefine the Nano bus(es), Nano eXtension bus(es). Now Orin Nano (thank you) & what should be called Orin eXtension (OX)? All of these buses make my hardware obsolete!?! The Orin NX is a physical standard and not a bus standard? Really? You are telling me that my credit card is NX compatible!! It is almost as NX compatible after all. I must acknowledge bus fluttering, though it is exclusionary and appears reactionary, has specific purpose. Please stabilize eXtensions for Entry Levels and us Life Long Learners, including buses and software updates (Cuda, JetPack, Ubuntu). SoMs have no value without a carrier board, a big effort for a one off. My frustration stems from planning to populate my Turing Pi 2s, only to find more power planned away from me and years away at that (TPi3 . . ?).

We do owe thanks to DEC for motivating Thomson, Ritchie & Kernighan. In turn Linus was motivated. We do not know where the next Linus, Jenson . . . will come from. Notably, NVIDIA is not on Luxonis RAE, special sarcasm in their video as RAE runs circles around a CORAL box.

0:48:12 to 1:01:40?

@jwitsoe - any comment on your Jetson Nano “Re-Launch” announcement and questions on Nano support for latest Jetpack?

Or was NVidia just looking to offload old stock and does not intend to support it?

Hi everyone, Nano will continue to be supported with updates to JetPack 4.6 - please refer to Jetson Software Roadmap for 2H-2021 and 2022 for more info. The latest update was released earlier this month (JetPack 4.6.3/L4T 32.7.3 released). JetPack 5 is for Xavier and Orin only and there aren’t plans to backport it to Nano/TX1/TX2.

Nano 4GB wasn’t EOL and thanks for your patience while it was out of stock due to supply-chain issues (for EOL announcements see the Jetson Product Lifecycle page). Please direct further questions to the Nano forum where they will be more visible to the Jetson team so that we can reply in a more timely manner.