Tesla M10 vGPU with Spice

We have a RHEL 7 server and have added a Tesla M10 video card. The server is running a spice server and user are logging in and getting an X session. We would like for each X session started up to get a vGPU with 512 Megs. Does anyone know how we would go about doing that? P.S. the are no virtual machines involved in this. All the X sessions are just running on the server.

Hi lphartm,

Thanks for the question. vGPU will only work with Virtual Machines - i.e. you need a supported hypervisor and guest OSs.

With multiple Xsessions I do not know of a way to limit GPU memory.

Doug, thanks for the information, I was afraid that’s what the answer wold be.

How ever, this is what is in your docs:

In a bare-metal deployment, you can use NVIDIA vGPU software graphics drivers with Quadro vDWS and GRID Virtual Applications licenses to deliver remote virtual desktops and applications. If you intend to use Tesla boards without a hypervisor for this purpose, use NVIDIA vGPU software graphics drivers, not other NVIDIA drivers.

To use NVIDIA vGPU software drivers for a bare-metal deployment, complete these tasks:

1. Install the driver on the physical host.For instructions, see [Installing the NVIDIA vGPU Software Graphics Driver
  2. License any NVIDIA vGPU software that you are using. For instructions, see [Virtual GPU Client Licensing User Guide
  3. Configure the platform for remote access.To use graphics features with Tesla GPUs, you must use a supported remoting solution, for example, RemoteFX, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops, VNC, or similar technology.
  4. Use the display settings feature of the host OS to configure the Tesla GPU as the primary display. NVIDIA Tesla generally operates as a secondary device on bare-metal platforms.
  5. If the system has multiple display adapters, disable display devices connected through adapters that are not from NVIDIA. You can use the display settings feature of the host OS or the remoting solution for this purpose. On NVIDIA GPUs, including Tesla GPUs, a default display device is enabled. Users can launch applications that require NVIDIA GPU technology for enhanced user experience only after displays that are driven by NVIDIA adapters are enabled.

Quadro vDWS Users of mid-range and high-end workstations who require access to remote professional graphics applications with full performance on any device anywhere

Q-series NVIDIA vGPUs
C-series NVIDIA vGPUs
B-series NVIDIA vGPUs
GPU pass through
Microsoft DDA
VMware vDGA
Bare metal

If you have Tesla GPU by default it has limited graphics capability - i.e. a single remote display output. You can use the the vGPU driver (and license) to enable graphics support on that GPU in bare metal.

We have customers who do that for vApps etc or needing to run accelerated graphics on single GPU. This is equivalent of having workstation with a GPU that has physical display outputs - so in theory you could enable 4 X sessions on the GPU. You would not be able to assign vGPU profiles on the system.

Ok, thank you.