Ubuntu 20.04 is blocked at loading screen after installing Nvidia drivers

Hello,

I recently (4 weeks ago) bought a laptop with a Nvidia 3060 RTX. However, I haven’t been able to make it work since, using Ubuntu 20.04.

The problem:
As soon as I install the Nvidia drivers (be it 510 or 470) and restart, the computer won’t run past the loading screen. I tried opening a terminal with CTRL + ALT + F2-7, but I can’t type anything.

The only way for it to launch is to go in recovery mode, root terminal, and type prime-select intel (or plainly removing the driver packages). Only then does the GUI launch.

Already tried:
I tried to install / remove / purge / reinstall the drivers a few times each (470 & 510), through the command line, with the .run file, and with Ubuntu Software & Updates > Additional drivers, with no success.

• I also tried switching back and forth to prime-select intel and prime-select nvidia after installing, as I’ve seen a few comments saying it was enough to solve their problem. But no.

• Finally, I tried adding the graphics-driver/ppa and reinstall the drivers afterwards. But you already know how it ended.

• The .run file actually gave another outcome:

ERROR: Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
           '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find            
           suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available   
           on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

By the way, here’s what /var/log/nvidia-installer.log says, if it can be of any help:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
    creation time: Thu Feb 17 14:21:48 2022
    installer version: 510.54

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
        ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface
    -> Detected 16 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 16.
    -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 510.54.
    -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 510.54).  As part of installing this driver (version: 510.54), the existing driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
    -> An alternate method of installing the NVIDIA driver was detected. (This is usually a package provided by your distributor.) A driver installed via that method may integrate better with your system than a driver installed by nvidia-installer.

Please review the message provided by the maintainer of this alternate installation method and decide how to proceed:

The NVIDIA driver provided by Ubuntu can be installed by launching the "Software & Updates" application, and by selecting the NVIDIA driver from the "Additional Drivers" tab.

(Answer: Continue installation)
    -> Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: Yes)
    -> Install NVIDIA's 32-bit compatibility libraries? (Answer: No)
    -> Uninstalling the previous installation with /usr/bin/nvidia-uninstall.
    Looking for install checker script at ./libglvnd_install_checker/check-libglvnd-install.sh
       executing: '/bin/sh ./libglvnd_install_checker/check-libglvnd-install.sh'...
       Found libglvnd libraries: libGLESv2.so.2 libGLESv1_CM.so.1 libOpenGL.so.0 libEGL.so.1 libGLX.so.0 libGL.so.1
       Found non-libglvnd libraries:
       Missing libraries:
       libglvnd appears to be installed.
    Will not install libglvnd libraries.
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libOpenGL.so.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libOpenGL.so"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv1_CM.so.1.2.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv1_CM.so.1"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv1_CM.so"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv2.so.2.1.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv2.so.2"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLESv2.so"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLdispatch.so.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLX.so.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGLX.so"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGL.so.1.7.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGL.so.1"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libGL.so"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libEGL.so.1.1.0"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libEGL.so.1"
    -> Skipping GLVND file: "libEGL.so"
    Will install libEGL vendor library config file to /usr/share/glvnd/egl_vendor.d
    -> Searching for conflicting files:
    -> done.
    -> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64' (510.54):
       executing: '/usr/sbin/ldconfig'...
       executing: '/usr/bin/systemctl daemon-reload'...
    -> done.
    -> Driver file installation is complete.
    -> Installing DKMS kernel module:
    -> done.
    ERROR: Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module.
    ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I come here as a last resort after all this.

Here’s the bug report run from recovery mode:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (107.0 KB)

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Please delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf

1 Like

Thanks! It’s working. :)

dmesg_file20Feb2022.txt (91.0 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (142.5 KB)
Hi @generix
hope you are good there and all
I am not sure if this is related to my issue? my second monitor is not detected and “nvidia-smi” is with error —>> “NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.”
please do help as much as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.