Uninstall hpc_sdk

Hi!
I installed hpc_sdk from the link. The latest available version is 21.7. But I it was lack of libgomp library required for OpenAcc compilation. So, I wanted to re-install it. In order to uninstall I run the command:
sudo rm -rf /opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/
Then removed the line with hpc_sdk in bashrc.

Then when I try to install again using the commands:
sudo apt-get install ./nvhpc-21-7_21.7_amd64.deb
and
sudo apt-get install ./nvhpc-2021_21.7_amd64.deb

It shows:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘nvhpc-21-7’ instead of ‘./nvhpc-21-7_21.7_amd64.deb’
nvhpc-21-7 is already the newest version (21.7).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

and does not proceed with the installation.
What else should I do in order to completely uninstall hpc_sdk?
Thanks

Hi Talgat,

Using ‘rm -rf’ does remove all the files, but I assume the problem here is that it needs to be cleared from apt-get’s configuration files. I don’t use ‘apt-get’ much myself so don’t want to give you bad advice, but I believe the command to purge the config would be the command " sudo apt-get --purge remove ". Though please double check me.

But I it was lack of libgomp library required for OpenAcc compilation

Why do you need libgomp? That’s GNUs OpenMP/OpenACC runtime library and not something we use with NVHPC. If you do see this dependency with one of your binaries, then you’ve most likely built using GNU so reinstalling NVHPC wont help.

-Mat

Hi, MatColgrove

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just tried to run installation commands again and the results were the same:
nvhpc-2021 is already the newest version (21.7).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.

So, I tried
sudo rm -rf /opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk/ and sudo apt-get --purge remove
and again sudo apt-get install ./nvhpc-2021_21.7_amd64.deb followed by sudo apt-get install ./nvhpc-21-7_21.7_amd64.deb. There are no changes.

So, there are two problems I face now:

1. I need hpc_sdk back
  2. I still need libgomp to enable running OpenMP and OpenAcc. The error which directed me to search for libgomp looks like:
    “error while loading shared libraries: libgomp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

Can you please help with that?
Thanks

Again, I’m not an expert in using apt-get so I’m not going to be able to help with this. I just did a web search and found the “–purge” option.

Though can you install using the TAR package rather than using the DEB package?

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-hpc-sdk-downloads

But I it was lack of libgomp library required for OpenAcc compilation.

Again, this is a GNU runtime library, not NVHPC so installing the NVHPC SDK wont help. So you’ll need to either install a GNU with OpenACC support, or rebuild the binary that’s giving you the error with NVHPC. If you are compiling with NVHPC but manually adding “-lgomp” to your link, please remove this since libgomp will intercept calls to the OpenACC API and give odd behavior since it’s a different OpenACC runtime than ours.

Hi MatColgrave,

I could uninstal hpc_sdk using the following commands:
This one I already mentioned above:
rm -rf /opt/nvidia/hpc_sdk
then found package names of nvhpc using,
dpkg --list
and then removed them with
sudo apt-get remove package name

I could not solve the issue related to libgomp, but I need to reinstall my OS.

Thanks for response

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.