Upgrading to CUDA 12.4 broke down the application

Hi,
I recently upgraded from CUDA 12.3 to CUDA 12.4. I use cuSparse ad cuBlas in my application for doing algebras. And it is on Windows 11. After upgrade and rebuild the application with CUDA 12.4 toolkit, it throws error such as illegal memory access on the device.

I’ve tried using compute-sanitizer to debug. It seems that this error happens within the cusparse_SpMV routine (SpMV_buffersize doesn’t throw any error). I’ve checked the matrix and vectors and confirmed that they were correct allocated on device before entering SpMV. So I really couldn’t find out what could be wrong since everything worked well with CUDA toolkit 12.3.

I found the following known issue from the release note: cusparseSpMV introduces invalid memory accesses when the output vector is not aligned to 16 bytes. Would this be the potential cause? If yes, how could I fix it? Thanks.

Regards,
Lu

Perhaps.

If you are using compute-sanitizer, it will provide additional information about the invalid memory access error, and if this is the reason (16 byte alignment) I would expect the compute-sanitizer output to also include a statement like “address xxxxxx is misaligned”.

Alignment in CUDA is discussed here. The simplest way I can describe to fix it with no code provided is to say that be sure that any pointer you provide to cusparse for output storage has the lowest 4 bits equal to zero. For 16 byte alignment, this is equivalent to the statement given in the programming guide: “the first address must be a multiple of the size”.

Hi @Robert_Crovella , thanks for your kind reply.

Since the actual code is a bunch of abstraction and templates which is difficult to share, I’ve made a simple snippet that resembles what I have in my code where the error occurs. I’ve omitted unnecessary “checkCudaError” codes for clarity. Please have a look.

using Scalar = double;
using ScalarPtr = Scalar*;
using Index = size_t;
using IntPtr = int*;						 

void device_assign(ScalarPtr dResult, Scalar val) noexcept
{
  cudaMemcpy(dResult, &val, sizeof(Scalar), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
}

struct CudaContext
{
  cublasHandle_t cublasHandle{nullptr};
  cusparseHandle_t cusparseHandle{nullptr};
};

struct SparseMatrixShape
{
  Index nRows{ 0 }; /*!< Number of rows*/
  Index nColumns{ 0 }; /*!< Number of columns*/
  Index nNonZeros{ 0 }; /*!< Number of non-zero entries*/
};

class SparseMatrixCsr
{
public:
  void toDeviceSparseMatrix()
  {
    // Allocate device variables
    IntPtr device_csrRowOffsets{nullptr};
    IntPtr device_csrColumnIndex{nullptr};
    ScalarPtr device_csrValues{nullptr};

cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<VoidPtr *>(&device_csrRowOffsets), sizeof(int) * (shape_.nRows + 1));
    cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<VoidPtr *>(&device_csrColumnIndex), sizeof(int) * shape_.nNonZeros);
    cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<VoidPtr *>(&device_csrValues), sizeof(Scalar) * shape_.nNonZeros);

// Copy from host to device
    cudaMemcpy(device_csrRowOffsets, csrRowOffsets_.data(), sizeof(int) * (shape_.nRows + 1), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    cudaMemcpy(device_csrColumnIndex, csrColumnIndex_.data(), sizeof(int) * shape_.nNonZeros, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    cudaMemcpy(device_csrValues, csrValues_.data(), sizeof(Scalar) * shape_.nNonZeros, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
    cusparseIndexBase_t cudaIndexBase = indexBase_ ? CUSPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ONE : CUSPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ZERO;

// Build sparse matrix by cuSPARSE
    cusparseStatus_t cudaStatus = cusparseCreateCsr(
	  &deviceSparseMatrix_,
	  shape_.nRows,
	  shape_.nColumns,
	  shape_.nNonZeros,
	  device_csrRowOffsets,
	  device_csrColumnIndex,
	  device_csrValues,
	  CUSPARSE_INDEX_32I,
      CUSPARSE_INDEX_32I,
      cudaIndexBase,
      CUDA_R_64F);
  }

auto getDeviceSparseMatrix() const noexcept { return deviceSparseMatrix_; }

// other methods...

private:
  SparseMatrixShape shape_;
  cusparseSpMatDescr_t deviceSparseMatrix_{ nullptr }; /*!< cuSparse spMatrix descriptor on device*/
  int indexBase_{ 1 }; /*!< Sparse matrix index base*/
  std::span<int> csrRowOffsets_{}; /*!< Row offsets array, size = nRows_ + 1*/
  std::span<int> csrColumnIndex_{}; /*!< Column index array, size = nNonZeros_*/
  std::span<Scalar> csrValues_{}; /*!< Value array, size = nNonZeros_*/

// other members...
}

void run_SpMV()	
{
  // Initialize cusparse context etc.
  CudaContext context;
  cudaStream_t stream{nullptr}; 

cudahelper::createCuBLASContext(context.cublasHandle);
  cudahelper::createCuSPARSEContext(context.cusparseHandle);
  cudaStreamCreate(&stream);
  cublasStatus_t cublasStatus = cublasSetStream(context.cublasHandle, stream);
  cusparseStatus_t cusparseStatus = cusparseSetStream(context.cusparseHandle, stream);

cublasSetPointerMode(context.cublasHandle, CUBLAS_POINTER_MODE_DEVICE);
  cusparseSetPointerMode(context.cusparseHandle, CUSPARSE_POINTER_MODE_DEVICE);

// Allocate constants on device
  ScalarPtr device_constants{nullptr};
  ScalarPtr device_one{nullptr};
  ScalarPtr device_minusOne{nullptr};
  ScalarPtr device_zero{nullptr};

cudaMalloc(&device_constants, 3 * sizeof(Scalar));
  device_one = device_constants++;
  device_zero = device_constants++;
  device_minusOne = device_constants++;
  device_constants = device_one;

device_assign(device_one, 1.0);
  device_assign(device_zero, 0.0);
  device_assign(device_minusOne, -1.0);

// Initialize matrixA ...
  SparseMatrixCsr matrixA;
  /*
    ... read A from files etc.
  */
  matrixA.toDeviceSparseMatrix();

// Create host vector x and vector y
  std::vector<double> host_x;
  std::vector<double> host_Y;
  Index size{matrixA.nColumns};
  host_y.assign(size, 0.0);
  /*
    ... assign values to host_x from files etc.
  */

// Create device vector device_x and vector device_y
  cusparseDnVecDescr_t device_x{nullptr}; 
  cusparseDnVecDescr_t device_y{nullptr}; 

// Allocate device variables
  ScalarPtr device_dense_x{nullptr};
  ScalarPtr device_dense_y{nullptr};

cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<VoidPtr *>(&device_dense_x), sizeof(Scalar) * size);
  cudaMalloc(reinterpret_cast<VoidPtr *>(&device_dense_y), sizeof(Scalar) * size);

// Copy from host to device
  cudaMemcpy(device_dense_x, host_x.data(), sizeof(Scalar) * size, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
  cudaMemcpy(device_dense_y, host_y.data(), sizeof(Scalar) * size, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

// Build dense vector by cuSPARSE
  cusparseCreateDnVec(&device_x, size, device_dense_x, CUDA_R_64F);
  cusparseCreateDnVec(&device_y, size, device_dense_x, CUDA_R_64F);

// Make buffer for SpMV
  VoidPtr device_buffer{nullptr};
  size_t bufferSizeMV{0};
  cusparseStatus_t cusparseStatus = cusparseSpMV_bufferSize(
      cusparseHandle,
      CUSPARSE_OPERATION_NON_TRANSPOSE,
      device_one,
      matrixA.getDeviceSparseMatrix(),
      device_x,
      device_zero,
      device_y,
      CUDA_R_64F,
      CUSPARSE_SPMV_ALG_DEFAULT,
      &bufferSizeMV);
  cudaMalloc(&device_buffer, bufferSizeMV);

// Excecute SpMV
  auto cusparseStatus = cusparseSpMV(
    cusparseHandle,
    CUSPARSE_OPERATION_NON_TRANSPOSE,
    device_one,
    matrixA.getDeviceSparseMatrix(),
    device_x,
    device_zero,
    device_y,
    CUDA_R_64F,
    CUSPARSE_SPMV_ALG_DEFAULT,
    device_buffer);

// Free resources 
  // ..
}

The error I got from compute-sanitizer is as follows. It doesn’t show “address xxxxxx is misaligned”. I doubt that the part of code that allocates the constants on the device via pointer arithmetic is maybe wrong. What do you think? And the array allocated by cudaMalloc is guaranteed to be aligned, right? Thanks.

========= Invalid __global__ read of size 4 bytes
=========     at void cusparse::csrmv_v3_kernel<std::integral_constant<bool, (bool)0>, int, int, double, double, double, double, void>
                         (cusparse::KernelCoeffs<T7>, const T3 *, const T2 *, const T3 *, const T4 *, T2, int, int, const T5 *, T6 *, T3 *, T7 *)+0x21b0
=========     by thread (0,0,0) in block (64,0,0)
=========     Address 0xc083678e8 is out of bounds
=========     and is 185 bytes after the nearest allocation at 0xc08367800 of size 48 bytes
=========     Saved host backtrace up to driver entry point at kernel launch time
=========     Host Frame:cuEventRecordWithFlags [0x7ffcbc5edc34]
=========                in C:\WINDOWS\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvblwi.inf_amd64_77518d2b617eecb2\nvcuda64.dll
=========     Host Frame:cusparseSpruneCsr2csr_bufferSizeExt [0x7ffc83cbe003]
=========                in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v12.4\bin\cusparse64_12.dll
=========     Host Frame:cusparseSpruneCsr2csr_bufferSizeExt [0x7ffc83cbdec6]
=========                in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v12.4\bin\cusparse64_12.dll
=========     Host Frame:cusparseSpruneCsr2csr_bufferSizeExt [0x7ffc83cbc237]
=========     Host Frame:cusparseZgemvi_bufferSize [0x7ffc8356accf]
=========     Host Frame:cusparseZgemvi_bufferSize [0x7ffc835563db]
=========     Host Frame:cusparseZgemvi_bufferSize [0x7ffc83573729]
=========     Host Frame:cusparseZgemvi_bufferSize [0x7ffc83577d51]
=========     Host Frame:cusparseSpMV [0x7ffc834b3d46]
=========     Host Frame:cudasolver::utility::cuSparseSpmv<cudasolver::SparseMatrixCsr<std::vector<int,std::allocator<int> >,
                         std::vector<double,std::allocator<double> > >,cusparseDnVecDescr *,cusparseDnVecDescr *,double *> in \some_path\include\utility\cuutility.cuh:347 [0x84226]

Yes.

an out of bounds error is pretty much what it sounds like. It’s not a misalignment error.

I can’t compile your code and so wouldn’t be able to help any further. I suggest debugging. Find that exact line in your code that triggered this error, and study all the arguments to it.

Alright, thanks for the response. But what still confuses me is the the same code works with CUDA 12.3 but not with CUDA 12.4. This is so weird. Shouldn’t it be backward compatible?

bugs in CUDA are always possible. I can’t ascertain anything without code that I can test. For me, debugging is still the first step, rather than assuming that it is a bug in the compiler or toolchain or library.

Do as you wish, of course.

Thanks for the hints. I totally agree that debugging is the first thing that needs to be done. I’m actually trying my best to debug. As you know, it sometimes can be a real headache especially with a closed-source library such as cusparse. That’s why, at the same time, I just want to ask if there is other possible reasons that might lead to this bug, from your side.