Video works 2/3 minutes after machine start and screen went black

Hello,
Since some days I get a problem with one machine, the screen went black after some time (2 … 10 minutes).
The only typical message in the logs is :
NVRM: GPU 0000:07:00.0: GPU has fallen off the bus.
I wonder about another message :
caller _nv000720rm+0x1ad/0x200 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

I did not see how to join the log file made through “nvidia-bug-report.sh”.

Regards,

JP

Desktop or notebook?

Hello,
It is a desktop with :
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
RAM 64GB

• some disks …
    If you have an idea it will be nice !

Regards
JP P

Since the 710 is quite old, maybe the fan is broken/clogged so it’s overheating and shutting down. Please use nvidia-settings or nvidia-smi to monitor temperatures/fan speed.
Otherwise, there might be a general board incompatibilty (unlikely since according to your description it worked before) or the 710 simply broken.

caller _nv000720rm+0x1ad/0x200 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs

is a sign the driver resetted the gpu. Does not necessarily mean anything but if that’s happening more than once/twice right after reboot, it’s a sign for the gpu to be broken.

Hello,
Nvidia settings says temp=53°
Will try to follow the temp after reèstarting the machine.

Regards
JP P

Hello,
When looking at temp I saw a problem with the fan which was limited to 40%, I put it to the maximum (more than 76 is not possible) but all went nice and the screen is on sine 3 hours.
But I don’t understand why the fan has “fallen” to 40%.
Ill was OK with the card until last week.
As that card is old I think to upgrade, anyone knows if I can put a Gt730 to replace the old GT710 ?

Regards

JP P

Don’t get a 730 now, those are too old, only 1 year of driver support left. Rather look for a T400.

Usually, the fans only ramp up when temperature is beyond 60 or 70°C so if the 710 gets unstable while at 53°C, I guess it’s broken. Either the sensor or the gpu.

Hello,
My problem is that the “big” pcie slot is used by a card, only “small” pcie slot free and the 710/730 are using such ports.
Is there any “modern” card using that kind of slot ?

Regards

JP P

Is that an x8 (half size) or x4 (quarter size) slot? The only half-modern card where some models have an x8 connector is the GT1030 but that’s very limited (no video encoders, 2 monitors only).

Hello,

The only “free” connector is used by the GT710 ans is a [PCI Express 3.0 1x, are they some “modern” cards able to fit in it ?

Regards

JP P

I don’t know of any newer card fitting into that.

Hello,
Thanks, I need the 16x slot for another use … it was why I want to get a new 710 or 730 which are working in such a slot.

Regards
JP P