What happens when you bind a texture? Under the hood I mean.

What happens when you bind a global array to a texture? Does cuda copy every single element into the texture, or does it simply make a link between an array and a texture.

I guess I need to know this for memory reasons. Also I need to know that if I bind a texture, and change an element in an array, whether this element changes in the texture as well?

Also, I would like to know if there’s any performance hit to binding a texture, and if it’s even worth it if you’re only gonna read out each element once every loop iteration.

Thx in advance.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I also need to know if there’s any advantage to using textures of float4 as opposed to a texture that is 4 times larger but consists of floats. And same question for global arrays.

It just makes a link.

Of course. Although writes are only guaranteed to be fully flushed out after a kernel call completes. In particular, you cannot write to a memory location and expect to have another thread read it from a bound texture in the same kernel call.

Binding a texture takes less time than the overhead of launching a kernel.

Yes, it can be worth it, depending on your memory access pattern.

With textures, float4 is a clear win over just reading floats. With global memory, the difference is only a few percent.

Thank you very much for your answers! You’ve been a great help.

I’d like to jump in here and ask a tangental question…

been reading about texture memory, but purely from a number cruncher’s perspective, not from the graphics programming angle. But the more I read, the more curious I am about how textures are applied in graphics at this low-level. (I understand the concepts of textures generally, but would like to understand better how they work mathematically.)

Is it just interpolation and, say, mulitplication affecting a value’s sample in a greater waveform (e.g. a surface element) … or much more complex as in FFT / convolution?

I googled the topic - and got somewhat overwhelming results - lots of people are doing graphics these days :blink:

A link to a good primer that deals specifically with the GPU’s texturing techniques - at this nitty gritty thread level - would be wonderful…

thanks

• Howard in Florida

From a computational perspective you can think of textures simply as 2D tables with interpolation.

In graphics, texture maps were originally used simply to apply images to surfaces (modulating the surface color), but these days they are used for a wide variety of other effects (bump maps, shadows, image processing etc.), and the hardware includes support for different texture types (such as cube maps) and advanced features like anisotropic filtering.

The OpenGL red book has a pretty good introduction to texture mapping:
http://www.glprogramming.com/red/chapter09.html

Thanks, Simon, exactly the answers I was looking for. I’ll read up on it and likely come back with lot’s more questions!

cheers,

• Howard