What's waking up my card and how can I get it into a powered off state when using On-Demand?

Hey,

I have a Thinkpad with a dedicated RTX 3070 mobile. I am using Ubuntu 21.04 with KDE and in nvidia-settings the system is set to work in the on-demand mode.
Recently I read on reddit that even probing the temperature causes the GPU to be awake. The power state can be checked in /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/power_state and it always says D0, even after I have removed the sensor from the KDE widget that shows the temperature in the system tray.
Furthermore, nvidia-smi reports a process that is always running:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A   1027686      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                  4MiB |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

I am not sure whether this affects the power state.

How can I figure out what’s keeping my card awake and how I can turn it off when I don’t need it?

[edit]
Even after shutting down the X server via systemctl stop sddm.service it still reported the power state as D0. Might that be an issue with the driver?

I finally switched to Debian again. I am using Bookworm now, the current testing branch. The GPU goes into D3cold without problems, after some time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.