Xendesktop failed to acquire license

I have some Windows 10 Xendesktop hosts running with M10-1B profiles. This all worked fine. Recently I had to rebuild the citrix MCS catalogs and now my hosts can’t acquire a license. At the same time, I rebuilt Azure AD Connect which is co-hosted on the Grid license server.

The license server appears to be working fine however I am not sure how to test connectivity to the license port remotely. I cannot access http://licenseserver:7070. I am still running with the trial license and have 40 vDWS licenses available.



You should check all firewalls from guest to license server. The "http://licenseserver:7070" correct answer should be "404 Not Found" (license process uses REST API POST "http://licenseserver:7070/request").

# curl -v http://licenseserver:7070 
* Rebuilt URL to: http://licenseserver:7070/
*   Trying licenseserver...
* Connected to licenseserver (licenseserver) port 7070 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: licenseserver:7070
> User-Agent: curl/7.59.0
> Accept: */*
< HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 09:28:29 GMT
< X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
< X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
< Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, must-revalidate
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: 0
< X-Frame-Options: DENY
< Content-Type: application/json
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked
  "arguments" : [ "uri=/", "GET", "(unknown)" ],
  "message" : "No such REST API and METHOD combination supported: uri=/ with GET for user (unknown)",
  "key" : "glsErr.restNoSuchApi"
* Connection #0 to host licenseserver left intact

More urls to test (standard browser GET method):


Thanks for the extra info. I have tried disabling the local firewalls on the client and license server and I have moved them to be on the same subnet to avoid an cross subnet firewall all with no difference.

I have tested all the URLs and they all respond with responses to the client suggesting the license server is indeed working. I have also used currports to check 7070 is listening on the server.

Is there a log somewhere on the license server which might show the communication with the client and why it isn’t getting a license?

License request in /var/opt/flexnetls/nvidia/logs/access*request.log is something like (check other logs too):

<i>guest_ip</i> - - [28/Jun/2018:10:17:08 +0000] "POST /request HTTP/1.1" 200 889  271

Sorry - I can’t find that dir on either server or client? I am using Windows for both client and server if that makes a difference. I can only find a bunch of tomcat, Catalina, host-manager, and localhost log files. No access logs?

I have also tried provisioning a new set of VDI hosts but the issue persists although it does try a lot to get a license constantly cycling between acquiring and failing.

I found in another post there can be problems if you acquire a license in the original image before imaging. Are you aware of any issues and is there a clean way of removing the license from the image?

Check out this blog post which has some good workarounds if the user session is begin established prior to the NVIDIA license being applied:


Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\GridLicensing
Name: IgnoreSP
Value: 1

KB Article(s) here:


Thanks for the new info. I have already applied that registry key though. My issue now is that I am not able to acquire a license at all. It just reports Failed to acquire license in a popup notification. Then cycles around to acquiring license…

OK - I found the log files on a Windows server are located at C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\flexnetls\nvidia\logs and from this I found that there is an error -

16:37:26,626 WARN Unable to handle request for feature GRID-Virtual-PC 2.0 count=1. Reason: FEATURE_NOT_AVAILABLE.
16:37:29,416 WARN Unable to handle request for feature GRID-Virtual-WS 2.0 count=1. Reason: FEATURE_NOT_AVAILABLE.
16:37:32,158 WARN Unable to handle request for feature Quadro-Virtual-DWS 5.0 count=1. Reason: FEATURE_SERVER_HOST_ID_MISMATCH.
16:37:34,884 WARN Unable to handle request for feature GRID-Virtual-WS-Ext 2.0 count=1. Reason: FEATURE_NOT_AVAILABLE.

This is repeated over and over.

Hi Matman,

from the message HOST_ID mismatch I would first of all check your licserver. Seems there is something changed (MAC or IP for example) so that the lic file is not valid any more.



Thanks Simon. That’s what I was figuring. Found that I had to set the MAC address to static as the license server had live migrated to a new host and received a new MAC address.

Set it to static with the one used on the license and all is back to normal.