24.1 32bit install will not suspend

Hi,
after Jetpack 2.2 was released i did a 32bit install and everything went well. However, the install will not suspend. i know from a past install the normal behavior is that one of the 2 leds will go out when the screen blacks out. now, the display blacks out and then 3 sec or so later comes back on. nothing happens to leds. i did a search on “ubuntu will not suspend” and there is quite a lot of discussion but i figured i’d ask here before i started to go through that information. as far as i can tell there are no settings in place for not suspending.
thanks.

ok, i hopefully can get an idea of what i need to do about this because everthing i have tried from searching the issue has not fixed it. this is a copy of pm-suspend.log from the period of time starting with selecting suspend and ending shortly after failure to suspend. the directory it chokes on indeed does not exist however i have no idea whyit is not there or what needs to be done to create it and whatever else is needed. any ideas? thanks

Initial commandline parameters:
Tue Jun 21 08:30:07 MST 2016: Running hooks for suspend.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change suspend suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change suspend suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000record-status suspend suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000record-status suspend suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend:
Linux tegra-ubuntu 3.10.96-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 17 16:31:40 PDT 2016 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Module Size Used by
bcmdhd 7453607 0
rfcomm 66118 0
bnep 14864 2
cfg80211 452766 1 bcmdhd
bluedroid_pm 11452 0
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3945328 1308892 2636436 18240 40956 530236
-/+ buffers/cache: 737700 3207628
Swap: 0 0 0
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend: success.

Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate suspend suspend:
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate suspend suspend: success.

Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd suspend suspend:
/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd: 21: /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd: cannot create /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind: Directory nonexistent
/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd: 21: /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd: cannot create /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind: Directory nonexistent
/etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd suspend suspend: Returned exit code 2.

Tue Jun 21 08:30:07 MST 2016: Inhibit found, will not perform suspend
Tue Jun 21 08:30:07 MST 2016: Running hooks for resume
Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate resume suspend:
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate resume suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000record-status resume suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000record-status resume suspend: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change resume suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change resume suspend: success.

I do not use suspend, but part of the logs you posted mention files in “/sys” not existing. Those files are pseudo files, not real files, and reflect files created by kernel features. If those features are not required (such as because ehci is not used…I do not know if it is), then it won’t matter…if those features are required, then the kernel config needs to be updated. Perhaps this is related to the “Inhibit found, will not perform suspend”, or perhaps not…I don’t know. If not, it is typical for something like “Inhibit found, will not perform suspend” to be part of the init setup (kernel configuration plus init configuration provides most all of the operating system feature enable/disable), possibly configured somewhere in “/etc”.

well, i just did a fresh install and it is again disabled. there might be something broken on my hardware but i think it is that way either intentionally due to some problem with RAM management or something, or the install script is broken and something that should be done is not being done. incidentally, the issue happens on either 32bit or 64bit installs. i could probably waste hours researching what could be the issue and never fix it.

Hi dkryder,

Are you using Wi-Fi or not?
Would you please attach the complete UART logs?
That would really help to investigate where might be wrong.

Thanks

wifi is enabled but i do not use it. the reason wifi is enabled is because if i do not have it enabled i have problems with my ethernet connection for some reason. by uart logs do you mean from a serial console during boot or the usb logs from the host from the install? thanks

log is attached. this showed up in log tonight,
Last login: Thu Jun 23 22:39:36 MST 2016 on ttyS0
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.10.96-tegra aarch64)

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ [ 15.146672] tegra210_mixer tegra210-mixer: ASoC: hw_params() failed: -22
[ 15.153532] tegra-snd-t210ref-mobile-rt565x sound.27: ASoC: PRE_PMU: TX1 Transmit-MIXER1-1 Receive event failed: -22
RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable
[ 15.813539] Host read timeout at address 545803f8
[ 16.316628] Host read timeout at address 545804f0
[ 39.203079] tegra210_mixer tegra210-mixer: ASoC: hw_params() failed: -22
[ 39.209789] tegra-snd-t210ref-mobile-rt565x sound.27: ASoC: PRE_PMU: TX1 Transmit-MIXER1-1 Receive event failed: -22

• Starting early crypto disks… [ OK ]
  • Setting up X socket directories… [ OK ]
  • speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
  • Starting NTP server ntpd [ OK ]
    saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned
    [ 679.334781] ata1: Link didn’t enter LPM
    [ 679.906073] dpm_run_callback(): ata_port_suspend+0x0/0x38 returns -16
    [ 679.913014] PM: Device ata1 failed to suspend async: error -16
    [ 679.920265] PM: Some devices failed to suspend
    [ 925.123637] ata1: Link didn’t enter LPM
    [ 925.691783] dpm_run_callback(): ata_port_suspend+0x0/0x38 returns -16
    [ 925.698720] PM: Device ata1 failed to suspend async: error -16
    [ 925.705253] PM: Some devices failed to suspend

never seen the ata message before 24.1 installs. obviously something wrong there.

EDIT: i disconnected the drive and the tx1 suspends as expected now. all is good , except i would still like to know what that error number -16 means.

i have discovered that using a sd card, either mounted or unmounted, will also not allow the system to suspend. however, nothing is picked up by serial console about this event.

in using the sd card , first time on tx1, i’ve noticed that if i have a card mounted that the flash memory on board is reported as a 2nd card , called sd01632. is this some sort of issue with ubuntu software or is it supposed to be like that? edit: i found out that this sd card listing represents the emmcflash memory. i’m not sure if this is ubuntu representation or nvidia. but the sdcard is broken into roughly 12 partions and that does not make sense to me. i should mention that i had to reset with the rst button once with a sd card installed so that may have borked the card although the system itself is booting and seems to run ok.
062316log.txt (74 KB)

Hi dkryder,

If there is wifi activity, then it is expected that the suspend sequence will be aborted. At that point, if you wait until wifi is idle and then retry the suspend, then it should work.
Would you please help to confirm that?

Error -16 indicates SDIO device is busy hence the suspend is aborted. Suspend allows devices to return error and prevent suspend operation but at a later point the suspend is expected to work.

Thanks

kayccc,
i tried with wifi not enabled and the result, no suspend, was the same for the sata ssd, however with the sata removed and just a sd card mounted the tx1 would suspend. anyway, it looks like this,

device // wifi // no wifi
only a sata// no suspend // no suspend
only a sd card // no suspend // suspend

so turning off wifi did change suspend when only a sd card is in place

thanks for getting back because now i know i can at least use a sd card and get suspend. so i now have ability to transfer/archive data to another storage media and have suspend in place. although it is not critical now ultimately i’d like to use sata. i need to verify with other drives that i don’t have an issue with the current one but since it worked with 23.2 i don’t think so. anyway, thank you.