he asked for benchmarks based on a previous comment, i provided them.
What's a legacy driver? | NVIDIA
What's a legacy driver?
he asked for benchmarks based on a previous comment, i provided them.
Anyone know the status of this issue?
~ ✘ 0|1
❮ journalctl -b --no-pager -p warning | grep -i “xid”
May 30 08:12:08 cachyos kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 109, pid=403176, name=witcher3.exe, channel 0x0000003d, errorString CTX SWITCH TIMEOUT, Info 0x27c049
~
❮
Well, I just tried VDPAU again with VLC before launching nvidia-bug-report.sh… And now it does work ! Well, it works as good or as bad as before (i.e. should I turn off or turn on the second monitor while VLC is playing, the view-port of the latter goes black, but the sound is still playing).
Maybe the issue I encountered was just due to some cached file in VLC that caused the bug just after the installation of v610 (and reboot of the PC)…
Anyway, here’s my nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (504.2 KB)
EDIT: well, bad news: still getting weird lock ups with VLC+VDPAU. It corresponds to an Xid (segfault in GPC3):
May 30 16:09:48 chronos klogd: NVRM: GPU at PCI:0000:01:00: GPU-ea7eede5-63cf-3efe-b4e0-3793b4fdba76
May 30 16:09:48 chronos klogd: NVRM: GPU Board Serial Number: 0
May 30 16:09:48 chronos klogd: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=12848, name=vlc, channel 0x00000009, intr 00000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPC3 GPCCLIENT_T1_2 faulted @ 0x1_2e80e000. Fault is of type FAULT_PTE ACCESS_TYPE_VIRT_READ
This looks rather random… But I never encountered this issue with v575 and former drivers.
Anyone know the status of this issue?
~ ✘ 0|1
❮ journalctl -b --no-pager -p warning | grep -i “xid”
May 30 08:12:08 cachyos kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 109, pid=403176, name=witcher3.exe, channel 0x0000003d, errorString CTX SWITCH TIMEOUT, Info 0x27c049~
❮
This has been a known bug for many months.
I’ve never seen a BUG ID for this issue.
If you want the game to work, disable Ray Tracing or roll back the driver to version 580.xx.
Hi!
I tried 10 times but nothing. I managed to play the game a little bit, with thiese launch options with insane stutters: PROTON_VKD3D_HEAP=1 VKD3D_CONFIG=enable_experimental_features,descriptor_heap,no_upload_hvv,single_queue %command% with Cachyos-proton. Now that Proton Experimental has been updated and cachyos-proton too, i get a crash when driving a bit, or that weird black screen while in game, the UI elements showing up but everything is black..
Hello. First, I wanted to thank all the developers and contributors for updating this project; I have a question: Will GTX 750 Ti which is supported with Legacy Drivers get included with these and future Vulkan fixes and optimizations? The current Legacy Driver version for this GPU as I’m sending this reply is 580.159.04 which was released on May 19, 2026
are you saying neither cachyos version of proton, nor experimental work for you?
CachyOS 7.0.10-1-cachyos (64-bit)
Nvidia RTX 3080 8GB VRAM laptop
Intel i7 12700H
64 GB RAM
On the newest 610.43.02 driver, Stalker 2 and Japanese Drift Master (Unreal Engine games) with VKD3D_CONFIG=descriptor_heap enabled, freeze and crash, regardless of proton-cachyos-slr version used (20260521, 20260520 and even older 20260429).
Stalker 2 after few seconds to minutes since start and JDM after few seconds in the main menu.
Error:
[ 9069.273788] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=72964, name=GameThread, channel 0x00000039, intr 00000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPC0 GPCCLIENT_GCC faulted @ 0x0_00000000. Fault is of type FAULT_PDE ACCESS_TYPE_VIRT_READ
and in Proton logs:
11816.691:0148:0228:err:vkd3d-proton:d3d12_command_queue_execute: Failed to submit queue(s), vr -4.
11816.691:0148:0224:err:vkd3d-proton:vkd3d_wait_for_gpu_timeline_semaphore: Failed to wait for Vulkan timeline semaphore, vr -4.
I downgraded to 595.71.05 (with 7.0.9-1-cachyos (64-bit)), which fixed the problem and I see more FPS in these titles with VKD3D_CONFIG=descriptor_heap applied.
Have you tried Proton Experimental? Proton Experimental is Steam’s default version of Proton, and I wouldn’t expect from Nvidia developers to test all possible custom/patched versions of Proton.
Well, the exact terminology that NV uses to refer to v580 differs across contexts, for example log entries from newer releases rejecting to handle Maxwell do refer to it as “legacy”:
[ 19.210175] NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro K2200 GPU installed in this system is
NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 580.xx Legacy drivers. Please
NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
NVRM: information. The 590.44.01 NVIDIA driver will ignore
NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Semantic inconsistencies aside…
What's a legacy driver?
Specifically “NVIDIA GPUs which are no longer supported in the regular NVIDIA Unified UNIX Graphics Driver”.
GTX 750 Ti
… is still supported by the current 580 series driver.
I have encountered a crash with Path of Exile 2 on driver 610. The game crashes as soon as you load a character. This is only happening with a single character and the issue goes away if I go back to driver 595.
I have manually deleted the shader cache in ~/.cache/nvidia to be sure of this and tried multiple proton versions (Steam proton 10, 11 beta, experimental bleeding edge). The issue persists with both the steam client and the stand alone client for the game.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (560.6 KB)
Kernel: Linux 7.0.10-2-cachyosCachyOS
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090
NVIDIA-SMI 610.43.02
Jun 02 01:42:46 fedora kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 109, pid=33581, name=HTGame.exe, channel 0x00000013, errorString CTX SWITCH TIMEOUT, Info 0x158015
Jun 02 01:42:48 fedora kernel: NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=33581, name=HTGame.exe, channel 0x0000001e, intr 00000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPC0 GPCCLIENT_GCC faulted @ 0x659e_00006000. Fault is of type FAULT_PDE ACCESS_TYPE_VIRT_READ
610.43.02 driver with old vkd3d-bratan from cachyos-proton to avoid fallback to descriptor buffer
logs are comming soon
I see. Thank you for answering.
God of War Ragnarok would randomly freeze completely and not recover, and the GPU use would drop to 0%, does not happen with 595.
RTX 4060 laptop, tried with and without heap.
2 last drivers has been having pretty heavy DSC issues on both Windows 11 and Linux past 2 months now.
Getting black screens left and right on boot, wake up etc. This is an Asus Rog PG42UQ monitor. Been really unstable, using a Zotac RTX 4090. Only way to fix it, is to unplug the power cord on the monitor. Monitor works great without the DSC on 120hz, but when I set it to max on 138hz, I start booting up with black screens etc.
I reported this on the last driver as well, on the forum. See that others have the same issues on the forum today, just scrolling down a bit. Some mention the issue on Samsung monitors
Ray tracing in The Witcher 3 has been crashing the game since the 590 branch. I can confirm that reverting to the 580.xx driver fixes the problem.
We have 5990600 bug filed internally for tracking purpose.
We have below bugs filed internally for game crash issues.
6255829 - God of War Ragnarok
6123783 - Path of Exile 2
6253576 - Stalker 2
6255986 - Japanese Drift Master
6256897 - Grounded 2
6256918 - Monster Hunter Wilds
you forgot halo infinite and it’s massive performance loss and majors issues