A100 PCIe isn't recognized by BIOS

Hello everyone,

I finally got my A100 80GB card working with an ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI. Just a quick recap. The motherboard would not POST and kept halting with the white VGA QLED meaning something is wrong with your graphics card or that none is present. I have an Intel Core i9-12900HK which has integrated graphics and the back of the motherboard has an HDMI connector “connected” directly to the integrated graphics. Even though in the BIOS I explicitly stated to use the integrated graphics, whenever the A100 was present, the system would not boot. If I disconnected the A100 power, no issues at all.

So a friend of mine lent me an NVIDIA 1080 card and I put that in just to see what would happen. Same problem. However, when I moved the HDMI cable from the motherboard HDMI connector to the 1080 connector with the monitor on, then voila! I was able to boot without issue and everything works fine. Once booted I can move the cable over. I will log a bug with ASUS and see what they say because right now I am loosing a slot which I need (this board only has 3 PCI slots).

If anyone has any idea given this new information as to what else I can enable or disable in the BIOS to make this work without another graphics card, I would truly appreciate it.

The other thing to note is that you cannot really run this card as is unless you install crazy fans. You need to remove the block and put a water cooling adapter on it (which I am doing next week). For some strange reason, these cards run very hot when idling.

EJK

EJK

2 Likes