CentOS 6.4 64-bit and GT220, mythfrontend lock-ups and error NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 56, CMDre

Hi All,

I use MythTV on CentOS 6.4 64-bit OS. My video adapter is a Zotac GT220-based board, so I’m happily using VDPAU.

I am struggling with an issue since I installed the system about a year (or maybe even more) ago. The system was updated many times, but the issue remains the same - no matter what kernel or other software versions I use. The issue is: sometimes when I put a video on pause, the player (mythfrontend) gets stuck and I cannot resume playback or quit the player. The only way to continue is to kill the mythfrontend process. It can be restarted afterwards and playback can be started again, usually without any issues.
This does not happen every time, and I see no obvious logic as to when it may appear. But generally, it happens several time a day, just while watching movies and putting them on pause.

I asked on the MythTV mailing list some time ago, but we couldn’t find a solution.

Each time the issue appears, I get the following error in the syslog:
kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 56, CMDre 00000003 00000080 00000000 00000005 0000000a

Sometimes I get two lines:
kernel: NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00: GPU-38eb2f5a-c19b-7f2b-f251-99f18d2dd022
kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 56, CMDre 00000003 00000080 00000000 00000005 0000000a

I wonder if this is something known and maybe has a solution?

The bug report can be found here.

Are you using latest released version of mythfrontend? what is mythfrontend version?

  • Desktop Environment you are using like KDE, GNOME, Unity etc… ?
  • Window Manager you are using Compiz, gnome-shell, Kwin, Unity etc… ?
  • Using any display manager like gdm, kdm etc… ?

Hi Sandip,

My system is a pretty much default CentOS 6.4 with Gnome 2.x (2.28 I believe) + gdm. I don’t use any “enhancers” like Compiz - in fact, this machine is running mythfrontend in full-screen 99% of the time, apart from being a mythbackend server.

My current mythfrontend version is:

mythfrontend --version

Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
MythTV Version : v0.26.0-171-gbfd2408
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20130225-1
QT Version : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_iptv using_ivtv using_libcrypto using_libudf using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_v4l1 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass using_libudf

But the issue existed also with all earlier MythTV versions that I tried.