CUFFT Newbei Question

Hello

I wrote the following code utilizing CUFFT Library for calculating FFT of 256 numbers and in 10 Batches. I have following questions in this regard:

1- Am I using the correct way for calculating the elapsed time for cufftExecC2C ( Basically I am using CUDA Event) ?

2- To calculate the execution time on the CPU, I am simple running the program in emulation mode -deviceemu. Based on the method of calculating the execution time I am using, I am observing that there is no benefit in performing the FFT on the GPU. I checked my results by varying the number of batches from 10 to 6000, and the benefit that I am observing is almost negligible; Am I doing something wrong while calculating the timing?

(I am using CUFFT for the first time, and even in CUDA I am relatively new, so please help me understand it)

Thanks in advance.

#include <stdio.h>

#include <math.h>

#include <cuda.h>

#include <cuda_runtime.h>

#include <cufft.h>

#include <cuda.h>

#define NX	  256

#define BATCH   10

int main()

{

cufftHandle plan;

cufftComplex *devPtr;

cufftComplex data[NX*BATCH];

int i;

/* source data creation */

for(i=  0; i < NX*BATCH; i++){

data[i].x = 1.0f;

data[i].y = 1.0f;

}

cudaEvent_t start,stop;

float time;

cudaEventCreate(&start);

cudaEventCreate(&stop);

/* GPU memory allocation */

cudaMalloc((void**)&devPtr, sizeof(cufftComplex)*NX*BATCH);

/* transfer to GPU memory */

cudaMemcpy(devPtr, data, sizeof(cufftComplex)*NX*BATCH, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

/* creates 1D FFT plan */

cufftPlan1d(&plan, NX, CUFFT_C2C, BATCH);

/* Timing Calculations*/

cudaEventRecord( start, 0 );

/* executes FFT processes */

cufftExecC2C(plan, devPtr, devPtr, CUFFT_FORWARD);

cudaThreadSynchronize();

cudaEventRecord( stop , 0 );

cudaEventSynchronize( stop );

float elapsedTime;

cudaEventElapsedTime( &elapsedTime, start, stop );

printf("Processing time=%f(ms)\n",elapsedTime);

cudaEventDestroy( start );  

cudaEventDestroy( stop );

/* transfer results from GPU memory */

cudaMemcpy(data, devPtr, sizeof(cufftComplex)*NX*BATCH, cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

/* deletes CUFFT plan */

cufftDestroy(plan);

/* frees GPU memory */

cudaFree(devPtr);

/*for(i = 0; i < NX*BATCH; i++){

printf("data[%d] %f %f\n", i, data[i].x, data[i].y);

}*/

return 0;

}

Hi!

1. using cudaEvents for measuring time is ok
  2. A size of 256 elements per FFT is quite small for testing the GPUs performance. Try running tests with N ranging from 256 up to 128k. For comparison with CPU I use the FFTW library (CUFFT is using a model very similar to FFTWs one so writing code for FFTW isnt very different). Running CUDA code in emu mode isnt a good idea cause all CUDA threads will be emulated by host threads then. I can see some improvements when comparing CUFFT with FFTW up from N=32k or less when setting batch to 20 or higher.