Deep copy complex object from device to host

Hello, I’m new to CUDA programming and I’m trying to figure out how to copy a complex object from the device to the host.
I have an object CUDAPopulation that needs to do some computation on the device.

CUDAPopulation.h:

class CUDAPopulation {
public:
    CUDAGenome **individuals;

CUDAPopulation(unsigned int popSize, unsigned int genNum, Objective obj = MAXIMIZE);

private:
    // Performs fitness-proportionate selection to get an individual from the population.
    __device__ CUDAGenome *select();
    // Scales the individuals' scores to fitnesses.
    __device__ void scale();
    // Implements ascending odd-even transposition sort on the individuals of the population.
    __device__ void sort();
};

// Perform an avaluation on the elements of the given population.
__global__ void evaluate(CUDAPopulation *pop);

// Perform an evolution step (selection, crossover, mutation, replacement) on the given population.
__global__ void step(CUDAPopulation *pop);

I allocate the object on the device like so:

// Create the population object on the host.
    CUDAPopulation *population = new CUDAPopulation(popSize, genNumber, CUDAPopulation::MINIMIZE);

// Allocate the population on the device.
    CUDAPopulation *d_pop;
    cudaMalloc(&d_pop, sizeof(CUDAPopulation));
    cudaMemcpy(d_pop, population, sizeof(CUDAPopulation), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

Then I dinamically allocate individuals calling a kernel that helps me implement polymorphism in CUDA code and run the computation:

dim3 gridSize(popSize);
    dim3 blockSize(checksNumber);
    createCUDAPathGenomePopulation<<<gridSize, 1>>>(d_pop, d_checks, checksNumber);

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < genNumber; i++) {
        evaluate<<<gridSize, blockSize>>>(d_pop);
        cudaDeviceSynchronize();
        step<<<gridSize, blockSize>>>(d_pop);
        cudaDeviceSynchronize();
    }

createCUDAPathGenomePopulation just initializes the individuals’ field in CUDAPopulation with a subclass of CUDAGenome called CUDAPathGenome.
Everything is ok so far, the problem comes when I try to copy the CUDAPathGenomes to the host after the computation to check the results:

// Copy the population object.
    CUDAPopulation *pop = (CUDAPopulation *) malloc(sizeof(CUDAPopulation));
    cudaMemcpy(pop, d_pop, sizeof(CUDAPopulation), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
    cudaCheckError();

// Copy the address of the populations' individuals.
    CUDAGenome **tmpIndividuals = (CUDAGenome **) malloc(popSize * sizeof(CUDAGenome *));
    cudaMemcpy(tmpIndividuals, pop->individuals, popSize * sizeof(CUDAGenome *), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
    cudaCheckError();

// Copy the population's individuals.
    CUDAPathGenome **individuals = (CUDAPathGenome **) malloc(popSize * sizeof(CUDAPathGenome *));
    for (unsigned int i = 0; i < popSize; i++) {
        individuals[i] = (CUDAPathGenome *) malloc(sizeof(CUDAPathGenome));
        cudaMemcpy(individuals[i], tmpIndividuals[i], sizeof(CUDAPathGenome), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);
        cudaCheckError();
    }

CUDAPathGenome internally has some dynamically allocated arrays that get copied later.
When I call “cudaMemcpy(individuals[i], tmpIndividuals[i], sizeof(CUDAPathGenome), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);”, on line 16, I get an “invalid argument” error and the program stops (that’s what cudaCheckError() does).
I can’t figure out why I get the error and what I am doing wrong.
I’m using CUDA 9.0 on a 920m GPU (3.5 compute capability).
Thanks

pointers to regions dynamically allocated on the device (i.e. allocated in device code using e.g. new or malloc) cannot participate in host-issued cudaMemcpy operations.

You haven’t shown a complete case for inspection, but I’m guessing based on your description you have some in-kernel new or malloc operations going on in createCUDAPathGenomePopulation to create the individuals. Pointers to those individuals obtained in that fashion cannot be used in a host-issued cudaMemcpy operation.

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-programming-guide/index.html#interoperability-host-memory-api

If you attempted to do so, “invalid argument” is the error I would expect.

Yes, it’s exactly like that, so i guess i need to give up on polymorphism and directly create a population of CUDAPathGenome, since I cannot have objects with virtual functions passed to a kernel.
Thank you for the fast and precise answer.