Disabling PRIME offloading on desktop

I require the assistance of the NVIDIA/Xorg wizards. This will be a long post. I will start with my computer’s specs:

CPU: Intel i9 10850k (with integrated graphics)
GPU: RTX 3070
Monitors: 1x BenQ EX2780Q 2560x1440 144hz, 1x QNIX QX2710
use case: ETH mining, CUDA workloads, and having a usable computer while doing these.
Nvidia drivers installed through RPMFusion:

(base) [user@fedora ~]$ dnf list installed | grep -i nvidia
akmod-nvidia.x86_64                               3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
kmod-nvidia-5.12.6-300.fc34.x86_64.x86_64         3:465.31-1.fc34                        @@commandline                                                             
kmod-nvidia-5.12.7-300.fc34.x86_64.x86_64         3:465.31-1.fc34                        @@commandline                                                             
nvidia-persistenced.x86_64                        3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
nvidia-settings.x86_64                            3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
nvidia-xconfig.x86_64                             3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64                        3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda.x86_64                   3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs.x86_64              3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc.x86_64                3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                          
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64                   3:465.31-1.fc34                        @rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver                                 

With this setup, pytorch works as I would expect. In fact, with no monitor cables plugged into the 3070, it’s almost like the GPU is in a headless mode. While idle, the output of nvidia-smi just shows that 5MB of VRAM is being used for something (if this matters, I will post it), and that’s it. However, I want to also enable Coolbits, so I can overclock and adjust the fan settings. To enable Coolbits, I added a Xorg config file:

[root@fedora user]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf 
Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "Coolbits" "12"
EndSection

Upon reboot, I could overclock and adjust my fans as I liked. However, I noticed very quickly that GNOME animations were smoother now. I figured I should try to use the GPU. Indeed, mining works with a respectable hashrate, however my computer becomes unusable and sluggish/stuttery etc. Unfortunately, it’s also the same result with pytorch and CUDA, so it can’t just be the mining software. nvidia-smi now shows this:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 465.31       Driver Version: 465.31       CUDA Version: 11.3     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 75%   35C    P5    15W / 150W |    518MiB /  7982MiB |     11%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      2526      G   /usr/libexec/Xorg                 245MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      2660      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell              263MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A      5959      G   /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox          3MiB |
|    0   N/A  N/A     21463      G   /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox          3MiB |

So it seems Xorg is also using the 3070, even though I have no monitors plugged into it, and some of GNOME is being offloaded to the 3070. That would also explain why GNOME seems snappier too now.

EDIT: Reading around and opening nvidia-settings now, it seems that with the 10-nvidia.conf file, I’m now using PRIME. I’ve tried this new config file:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "intel"
    Inactive "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

which I’ve reasoned should be how to disable PRIME. However, this doesn’t work: I’m back at step 1 with Coolbits not working.

EDIT 2: I’ve removed a lot of the unnecessary information, since it seems all I really want to do is disable PRIME, and have Coolbits enabled. The above xorg.conf file is incorrect. Here is what I have now:

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
    Disable "dri3"
EndSection

#Section "Device"
#    Identifier "intel"
#    Driver "modesetting"
#    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidia"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "Coolbits" "12"
EndSection

# Section "Screen"
#    Identifier     "intel"
#    Device         "intel"
#EndSection

#Section "Screen"
#    Identifier     "nvidia"
#    Device         "nvidia"
#EndSection

#Section "ServerLayout"
#    Identifier     "Layout0"
#    Screen     0  "intel"
#    Screen     1  "nvidia"
#EndSection

With the commented parts, I get PRIME. If I uncomment, Coolbits doesn’t work. Some people on the internet have mentioned that I should be able to select the PRIME display in nvidia-settings, but that might be a Ubuntu thing? Either way, that doesn’t work. Here are some other posts that explain possible workarounds, but nothing has worked for me link 1, link 2

Surely I can’t be the only person who has wanted to disable PRIME before?

1-) Check your bios settings, it might have an option to disable igpu.

2-) You can use NV only mode, it should be on NV X server settings.

3-) GitHub - Askannz/optimus-manager: A Linux program to handle GPU switching on Optimus laptops.

Such alternatives to set desired gpu to use also exists.

I apologize if I was not clear. I do not want to disable the integrated GPU. I want to use the integrated GPU for display, and ONLY use the NVIDIA GPU for CUDA applications, while also being able to set Coolbits, AND have a usable computer while using CUDA. Currently, I can:

1. use CUDA and have a usable experience with my computer while it’s running, but I cannot use Coolbits.
  2. use CUDA, set Coolbits, but not have a usable computer (it becomes awfully stuttery and laggy).

My belief is that this has to do with “PRIME offloading”, and perhaps Xorg and GNOME. I do not want GNOME and other apps offloaded to the NVIDIA GPU, since this seems to be what causes the lag and stuttering in case 2). I think because of this, more broadly, I do not want PRIME at all. This post on stack overflow is precisely the situation I want, however it doesn’t work. I’m not able to use Coolbits, and the desktop becomes broken where applications like Firefox require me to constantly resize the window to “refresh” the application’s display.

I have tried playing with the BIOS settings switching between whether the BIOS thinks my iGPU is the main one and the NVIDIA GPU, but it doesn’t change anything. I have seen optimus-manager (and probably everything under the sun that could be related to PRIME), and I will try optimus-manager, but I would preferably not have to switch OS in order to be able to disable a feature.

Wow, alright. I feel very stupid. RPMFusion’s NVIDIA driver package installs a file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d which is why Xorg was not behaving how I expected. For anyone who finds this in the future, make sure to check folders/subfolders such as that to make sure there are no files that might be conflicting with yours.

Here is the final config file I used

# a layout combining the actual and virtual monitors
Section "ServerLayout"  
    Identifier    "layout"     
    Option "AllowNVIDIAGPUScreens"

#   Our real monitor
    Screen 0      "Screen0" 0 0     
#   Our virtual monitor
    Screen 1      "Screen1"     
EndSection

Section "Screen"
#actual screen
    Identifier     "Screen0"
#integrated intel GPU card
    Device         "intel"
#actual monitor
#    Monitor        "Monitor0"
#    DefaultDepth 24
#    SubSection     "Display"
#       Depth 24
#    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
# virtual monitor
    Identifier     "Screen1"
# discrete GPU nvidia
    Device         "nvidia"
# virtual monitor
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection     "Display"
       Depth 24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#Section "Monitor"
#    Identifier     "Monitor0"
#    VendorName     "Unknown"
#    Option         "DPMS"
#EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "modesetting"
EndSection

Section "Device"
# integrated intel GPU
    Identifier     "intel"
    Driver         "modesetting"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
# discrete GPU NVIDIA
   Identifier      "nvidia"
   Driver          "nvidia"
   VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
   BoardName       "GeForce RTX 3070"
   Option          "Coolbits" "28"
   BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Nice, so if this config solved your issue you might select your answer as solution so people that comes across to this thread years later can jump straight to solution :)