Does Titan RTX support P2P access w/o NVLink?

GPU0	GPU1	GPU2	GPU3	GPU4	GPU5	GPU6	GPU7	
 GPU0	X	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	
 GPU1	CNS	X	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	
 GPU2	CNS	CNS	X	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	
 GPU3	CNS	CNS	CNS	X	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	
 GPU4	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	X	CNS	CNS	CNS	
 GPU5	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	X	CNS	CNS	
 GPU6	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	X	CNS	
 GPU7	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	CNS	X	

Legend:

X    = Self
  OK   = Status Ok
  CNS  = Chipset not supported
  GNS  = GPU not supported
  TNS  = Topology not supported
  NS   = Not supported
  U    = Unknown

It says “Chipset not supported” … but this MB supports other Titan series …
Anyone knows what makes this difference ?

Here is specs. of my machine:

Chipset: SuperMicro X11DPG-OT-CPU

CPU: two Xeon 12 Cores 24 Threads CPUs

GPU: eight Titan RTX

Driver: 415.27

CUDA: 10, CUDNN, NCCL installed.

Sadly, it looks like Nvidia is not going to answer this.

Just for reference, here’s another similar question. With at least some sort of answer from Nvidia…

on Titan RTX and also Turing-family GeForce GPUs such as 2080/2080Ti, P2P is only supported if/when the NVLink bridge is in place (i.e. only over NVLink). For Turing family GeForce GPUs without a NVLink bridge option, P2P is not supported.

What NVIDIA supports is determined by the tool already run. The behavior may vary by GPU, and is not strictly a function of the motherboard. Since I am not providing a matrix that covers every question for every case, the best determinant of features like this is what the tool reports.

NVIDIA may choose to design a product that supports P2P over NVLink but not PCIE. That is what happened with Titan RTX. I won’t be able to give further rationalization or explanation.

In particular, questions like “why is it this way?” I am not able to answer.

For example, “Anyone knows what makes this difference ?” is a question I wouldn’t be able to answer, other than by saying that is the way the product is designed.

Thank you Robert for clarifications.

We are going to get NVLink bridges to pair the cards. I will post our results when we test them.

Hey Alexey, any update on this, did you test the 2x2xTitan RTX setup?

I would like to know how this worked out too.

I have two Titan RTXs with an NVlink between them. From what I can see, each card can accommodate just one NVlink so you would end up with pairs of them connected. As it turns out, I doubt I will need any connection between them for my purposes but it’s nice to have in case we do need it.

Yeah, mebe it’s just worth restating what the impact of p2p memory copy is? I’m interested in tensorflow and pytorch deep learning over multiple GPUs. Atm we are 1080tis using pcie, but soon upgrading to Turing/RTX cards.

Any info much appreciated as atm it doesn’t look like it’s worth upgrading, but it could be just a poor appreciation of the impact of p2p.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1066863/cuda-programming-and-performance/using-nvlink-bridge-makes-big-impact-on-the-training-speed-on-2x-rtx-2080-multi-gpu-training-with-p2p-/

https://www.servethehome.com/dual-nvidia-titan-rtx-review-with-nvlink/

I

On what level this behavior is defined?
If its part of the driver we (external developers) may be able to change it, if its part of internal architecture - we probably won’t.

Not everyone needs NVlinks, its a product to increase communication BW, but BW is not always the bottleneck.
When we don’t want to use IB, or when BW is not the bottleneck, NVlinks improve performance sometimes only by 1%, therefore may not worth the price.
By doing this design NVidia coupled Turing-family GeForce GPUs to another (sometimes unnecessary) product.

I wonder which HW should we buy if we want to use use P2P with “commodity” communication.

This appears to be an intentional “gimp” to push professional users to quadro / tesla professional cards for memory pooling. Nvidia, probably correctly, reasons that without such “gimp” commercial users would be tempted to use the RTX Titans in a server type environment despite the warnings not to.

Just a hunch.