Double not supported; demoting to float Compiling on a comp: 2.1 device and getting precision errors

I am changing some of my labs (I am a university student in EE) simulation code from Intel mkl to CUDA. I am trying out the code on a GeForce GTX 560 (compute capability 2.1) and writing the code in Visual Studio 2010. Once working it will be run on Quadro 6000’s on our server.

I read that adding -arch-sm_20 enables double precision (tried and did nothing but may have not done it correctly), but I also read about nvcc directive -prec-div=true (a function that is dividing array elements is the culprit for double → float), but the programming guide mentioned that my setup should be double precision by default. My code does millions of double precision cuFFT’s that work fine but this type demoting in the division is destroying the result.

I am sure this must have been asked before so sorry for repeating but I would appreciate if someone could provide a link to a relevant post or help me out in some way.

Thanks in advance

Check if you have [font=“Courier New”]-gencode[/font] or [font=“Courier New”]–generate-code[/font] set somewhere in the build options. You should only have either those or the [font=“Courier New”]-arch sm_20[/font] for proper compilation.

Hello,

The proper flag is -arch=sm_20 there is a “=” not “-”.

The only place I found to enter in the option is in the properties of the VS Solution: ->properties ->Configuration Properties ->CUDA C/C++ ->Device ->Code Generation: compute_20, sm_20

Is there another place to specify sm_20?

Thanks for the response. I mis-typed in my post but when I tried entering it on the command line, I used “=”

I am using doubles with the specified flag and cufft. It works without problems. There might be some other problem.