Error when trying to run Jetson TX2

Hello,

When trying to run my Jetson TX2 on my monitor I get the error “cp: not running through dangling symlink etc/resolv.conf” with a series of lines underneath (I have attached an image of what the full error looks like). I have looked into downloading ubuntu 18.04 onto a flash drive and putting it in but haven’t made any progress on how to do it. I am a complete beginner and have little to no knowledge.

Thank you.

Is this your first time using this TX2 or it has been used for a while?

No its been used before, not by me

Basically, current situation is just the desktop GUI fails to launch so you only see some kernel log printed on screen.

There are some options here

1. Enable the console and operate the console. I will guide you to check some logs but don’t guarantee it will100% come back to work.

2. Directly reflash the board with another x86 PC. The data will be gone but the board would come back and you won’t need to check log as (1).

So it depends on you for what to do here.

I think the first option will be better I dont want to lose any of the data there.

Ok, a cable is required here to dump the log as below tutorial.

I dont have these cables at the moment could you just walk me through
second option of reflashing?

For second option, prepare a x86 host PC with native ubuntu 18.04 (prevent to be a VM).

Install sdkmanager on this host PC first.

And then connect micro usb port of jetson to your host PC.

Put the TX2 into recovery mode and check lsusb command on your host. If there is “NVIDIA corp” then start sdkmanager. Sdkmanager shall detected your board and just follow the GUI step by step to flash the board.

The method to put board into recover mode (RCM).

1. Remove the power cable
  2. Plug the cable back (as tx2 does not have auto start, your board shall still not power on)
  3. Press and hold the recovery button
  4. Press and release the power button
  5. release the recovery button

would I use the latest version of sdk manager or 1.7.3?

Latest sdkmaanger is better. It can still flash every old version of jetpack too.

ok my computer has the version ubuntu 20.04 what should I do

Get a 18.04 host.

how do I do that sorry I am very new to all of this

You can try to google search that first. This is already not related to jetson anymore.

Ok thats fine but I just wanted to confirm what I need to do is get the ubuntu 18.04 virtual host within ubuntu 20.04?

As I said in previous comment, we don’t suggest to use VM as sdkmanager may not work well on VM.

Sorry Im very confused how else would I get the 18.04 onto my ubuntu 20.04

Just some information you might find of use in all of this…

The software which actually performs a flash or clone is the “driver package”. It’s called that because in recovery mode a Jetson becomes a custom USB device understood by that driver (and only that driver…it’s custom). JetPack/SDK Manager is a GUI front end and installer utility. Because of the JetPack/SDKM being for a TX2, it is limited to operating on either an Ubuntu 18.04 host PC, or an Ubuntu 16.04 PC (obviously 18.04 is preferred). The flash itself installs Linux for Tegre (“L4T”), which is itself Ubuntu plus NVIDIA drivers.

The combination of the flash target and the JetPack version is what requires the host PC to be either Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04. Technically, if you give up the GUI, and use only the command line flash.sh, then you can flash from a much wider range of Linux host PCs, e.g., from Ubuntu 20.04, but steps become more manual, and there are a number of advantages to sticking to JetPack/SDKM.

VMs very often fail USB. One has to know how to correctly configure that particular VM to never lose the USB before it can succeed. During flash USB will disconnect and reconnect, and quite often this fails on a VM which has not been specifically configured to work correctly. The WSL2 VM has even more problems in that you have to update it with a Linux kernel configured for loopback support, which the default does not have. It is far better, in terms of less frustration, to just use a native install, e.g., dual boot, or even add another hard drive and put Linux on it.

Note that JetPack/SDKM and L4T have their versions tied together. If you pick one release, then you’ve picked the other. You can check for the most recent L4T release compatible with your TX2 here:

You’re basically looking for the latest L4T R32.x. On a running system you can find the L4T release with “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”.

Note that JetPack/SDKM can be started with a more recent release (you’d still want a 4.x JetPack I think), and be told to show all of its available releases if you start it like this:
sdkmanager --archivedversions

If you really want to try command line flash from Ubuntu 20.04, I can show you how, but expect more manual steps. Also, JetPack offers to install a lot of optional software, e.g., CUDA, which command line flash won’t do. You could still install that software later with an apt-get, but you’d need to know which packages you want. Overall I advise using JetPack, but in a pinch you could use command line. The VM problems will still be a problem on command line.

Also, we are all assuming this is a TX2 developer’s kit from NVIDIA. If this is a third party carrier board with a TX2 module, then instructions change.

I understand all of this I wanted to know what your recommendation is for the most efficient way to complete this process and if you could walk me through that.

Reminder my computer is on ubuntu 20.04 and I need to download ubuntu 18.04 onto my jetson tx2 (my developer kit is from nvidia).

The above message is the conclusion I have come to after trying to figure out how to fix the error that is posted at the top of thread.