Frequent kwin compositing failure with associated Xid 31 error

Attach one screen shot shows what it looks when the error happens

You can notice the background of lattedock is black. The whole screen is froze and only mouse cursor can move.

I really don’t think that these are all separate issues. I believe it is an issue with Kwin and nvidia on certain cards. I can’t play OpenGL games for very long before hitting Xid 31. When I was using a GTX 670 I could run the same games for as long as I wanted. Setting “Force Full Composition Pipeline” seems to stop it from happening randomly while not playing games but it doesn’t stop it from happening while playing games. When it does happen it hoses my system up pretty bad. Neither the KDE project or Nvidia want to take responsibility for investigating and resolving this issue. It is getting to be pretty frustrating.

I would agree these issue are same. As a producer of the video card, Nvidia does need to have someone to look at the issue. Consider what the bad experience it brings to customer. I hope it can be solved in the new 390 series of driver.

Can confirm the exact same issue. I always have to blindly open a terminal and execute a small script I wrote to fix it. It’s a massive pain in the butt… Since it also freezes the login screen, I’ve accidentally typed my password into a chat. Please fix this issue, it’s very serious.

Here’s my script if it helps:

#!/bin/bash
echo "Resetting in 3 seconds... Set compositor to OpenGL 3.0"
sleep 3s
export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
kwin_x11 --replace &

where / how do I set those? I can’t seem to find them in nvidia-settings 390.48