glLineWidth and glLineStipple sustainability

Hi all,

I have the following context:
GPU : NVIDIA GPU Quadro K620 (GM107GL-A)
Driver : NVIDIA GLX Module  390.67

I am currently using the OpenGL method glLineWidth, by experiment I have tested than is not possible to display a line wider than 10 pixels in GL_LINES drawing mode.
I have checked the Khronos specification at glLineWidth - OpenGL 4 Reference Pages and it is written that “Only width 1 is guaranteed to be supported; others depend on the implementation.
As the max width is not specified, I am interested about the NVidia strategy on non specified values and how sustainable is it.
In other terms: If I use a width of 10 pixels, is the risk of regression will be high when I will install a new driver and or with a more recent NVidia graphic card?
I have also the same sustainability question on glLineStipple method, which is worse in a sense as it is deprecated(I use it via a GL4bc context).

Thanks for your support.

Mik

Hi,
IMHO you shouldn’t use those methods anymore.
On my hardware, lines are always 1 pixel large, whatever the parameters are, for many years now.
Create polygons for larger lines is the solution that will always work.
Sad but true …

C.

Hi,

Thanks ceydricG for your answer. I agree, using polygons is the most sustainable solution. Just for curiosity, what is your card ? I have also tried on a Quadro M2000M, and again I am able to draw line with 10 pixels as maximum width.
Cheers,

Mik

I have different models and my software is used on several computers with different models too.
Mine are Geforce GTX 980Ti, Geforce GTX 1080, and now Geforce RTX 2080Ti (but I have just installed it at my office, not sure if glLineWidth gives a different result).
The width is still stuck to 1 pixel (it seems)
I have some P5000 Quadros too but I didn’t try to change the line width settings. Maybe the Quadros are the ones on which glLlineWidth still works OK …

Best regards
C.