GPU Dashboards in Jupyter Lab

Originally published at: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/gpu-dashboards-in-jupyter-lab/

Learn how NVDashboard in Jupyter Lab is a great open-source package to monitor system resources for all GPU and RAPIDS users to achieve optimal performance and day to day model and workflow development.

The blog article was posted 3 days ago and contains long detailed “documentation” of how to install this extension using various way

But this article is already wrong (probably outdated) and misleading for potential users.

The article instructions to install:

pip install jupyterlab-nvdashboard
jupyter labextension install jupyterlab-nvdashboard

Gives:

ValueError: The extension "jupyterlab-nvdashboard" does not yet support the current version of JupyterLab.

According to the official docs (GitHub - rapidsai/jupyterlab-nvdashboard: A JupyterLab extension for displaying dashboards of GPU usage.) we only need to do the pip install (like for most extension on JupyterLab 3). And the extension is only supported on JupyterLab > 3, so the whole installation process documented in this 3 days-old article already does not exist anymore

@vincent.emonet Thank you for catching that. We have updated it.

It seems like it is still broken. In my case installing this package automatically updated jupyterlab to v3.. and broke the Web UI. Uninstalling jupyterlab-nvdashboard and downgrading jupyterlab back to v2 solved the broken UI at least.

Are there any plans to update the dashboards to work with the current version of JupyterLab?

Could I also use this on VSCODE? Thanks!

I’m afraid not. Currently, only Jupyter Lab and the standalone dashboard is supported.