GPUDirect / CUDA - MPI on Windows

Is GPUDirect a thing on windows? I can’t run MPI-Cuda code on Windows that worked just fine on the same box under Ubuntu.

Typically GPUDirect RDMA (what is often associated with MPI usage) is associated with Linux.

[url]GPUDirect RDMA :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

It should still be possible to use MPI on windows, but CUDA-enabled MPI that depends on GPUDirect RDMA (e.g. for direct transfers between a GPU and a IB card) probably won’t work.

That is rather unfortunate. Thank you very much for the quick response on this txbob. What Linux distro(s) would you recommend that I use? I have 2 GTX 1050 Ti’s that I was able to get to run on Ubuntu but their aggressive updates seemed to break my peripherals and some critical software all of the time. This last update I lost my desktop when upgrading from Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10… Not ideal.

Follow the instructions in the linux install guide.

Personal preferences will play strongly into picking a Linux distro. I am partial to RHEL so would recommend looking into that.

My take on RHEL is that it is a stable and robust platform. Never any problems, with or without GPU in the picture. The drawback is that one may not get to play with the latest bleeding-edge technology (e.g latest toolchain), but I don’t need that. CentOS should be very close to RHEL, but I have never used it.