how do i make a device function generic ?

I want to perform a reduction on a shared memory array in different kernels with different types.

I want to make a device function generic and outsource in a seperate file to include by the kernels.

So I thought of using templates to avoid senseless function duplicates.

template<class T>

__device__ void reductionAdd(T* inValues,

T &outTargetVar)

{

//do reduction and save to target

}

calling it with in the kernel file

reductionAdd<unsigned int>(array_s, var_s);

gives the following error:

error: this declaration may not have extern “C” linkage

But using my kernel without extern “C”, gives error that function cannot be found and extern “C” is missing.

And putting two versions of this functions, one for unsigned int and one for float into the same

file that has to be included by the kernels gives me the error:

error: more than one instance of overloaded function “reductionAdd” has “C” linkage

Sorry I am not that familiar with c language.

Hi!

Since I am using templates extensively in the described way on device and kernel functions, I can only say that it does work.

Obviously templates are a C++ feature, so extern “C” cannot possibly work on templates.
Thus I would assume that you compile your rcode in plain C for some reason (check the compiler settings).

However I allways include all code needed for a kernel and its C++ interface in one single file, since linking device code was (and still is ?!) not possible. Thus I put such functions into *.cuh files that I include via #include in the .cu file where they are needed.

If you have all your code under control and your functions are not called by third party, there is absolutely no reason not to compile any C code as C++, except that you might need to add some function prototypes to header files, since C is not very strict about this. I do this whenever feasible since it gives you all the advatages of strict typing and there is no need to use any C++ features (although preferably i.m.h.o).

regards Rolf

Can you just declare your function as extern and not extern “C”?
The extern “C” is just to avoid having differing name mangling schemes for the same function. That is, declaring a function as being extern “C” notifies the compiler to treat the function as a C function rather than a C++ one (and hence mangle its name in a non-C++ manner), but that isn’t necessary for you, right?

You are free to put your global function inside of an extern “C” block, but keep your template device functions outside of the block. The extern “C” declaration does not prevent you from using C++ inside of your global function; it just prevents C++ name mangling of the functions you declare inside the block.