How to acquire NvBuffer for 4-batched NvBufSurface?

This is a duplicate of this thread, but I hoped maybe Jetson guys could help me out.

So I have this plugin, that extracts images from 4 sensors and sends it down the pipeline as a batch. It’s a libargus based plugin:

GstStructure *config = gst_buffer_pool_get_config (src->pool);
  gst_buffer_pool_config_set_params (config, src->outcaps, sizeof (NvBufSurface), MIN_BUFFERS, MAX_BUFFERS);
  gst_structure_set(config, 
                    "memtype", G_TYPE_INT, NVBUF_MEM_DEFAULT,
                    "gpu-id", G_TYPE_UINT, 0, 
                    "batch-size", G_TYPE_UINT, 4, NULL);
  gst_buffer_pool_set_config (src->pool, config);

// And here we set up array of consumers (I have it as separate threads, but it shouldn't matter for my case.
IFrameConsumer consumers[4] = {0};
// Init code here......

//Now, in the main loop
    int fds[4] = {0};
    ret = gst_buffer_pool_acquire_buffer (src->pool, &buffer, NULL);

GstMapInfo outmap = GST_MAP_INFO_INIT;

if (!mapBuffer(outmap, buffer)){
      GST_ERROR_OBJECT(src, "no memory block");
    }

NvBufSurface* surf = (NvBufSurface *)outmap.data;

for (int i = 0; i < src->sensors.size(); i++) {
        fds[i] = surf->surfaceList[i].bufferDesc;
    }
// Effectively what we did here was:
// - allocate gst buffer and retrieve NvBufSurface from acquired buffer
// - Extract dma buffers from every batch into fds array for further usage

// Acquire frames from every sensor and store it to buffer
        for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
            UniqueObj<Frame> frame(
                iFrameConsumer->acquireFrame(consumer_wait_time_us * 1000));
            IFrame* iFrame = getIFrameInterface(frame);
            NV::IImageNativeBuffer* iNativeBuffer = interface_cast<NV::IImageNativeBuffer>(iFrame->getImage());
            iNativeBuffer->copyToNvBuffer(fds[i]);
        }

Please note this is pseudo code and i don’t have it in one thread, but for the purpose of illustration of my setup, it should work.
So, I’m using NV::IImageNativeBuffer to extract ELGImage from the consumer and I want to store it in my custom dmabuf (that is, I’m not calling iNativeBuffer->createNvBuffer as I want to use dmabuf that is already pre-allocated in gst_buffer_pool.
So given the task to create 4-batched GST_BUFFER based on 4 EGLStreams, does this program makes sense?
For me this code works perfectly fine on JP4 devices (deepstream 5.0 and l4t - 32.4.4. But it doesn’t work on JP5 device (deepstream 6.0 and l4t 35.3.1).
output

You can find the result of execution in gif attached. To generate this image I used the following pipeline on the JP5 device:

gst-launch-1.0 mycustomarguscamerasrc num-buffers=900 num-sensors=4 ! queue ! nvmultistreamtiler width=1920 height=1080 rows=2 columns=2 ! nvvideoconvert ! "video/x-raw(memory:NVMM),width=1920,height=1080,format=I420" ! nvv4l2h265enc ! h265parse ! matroskamux ! filesink location="test.mkv"

Can you help me understand what exactly am I doing wrong here and how can I prepare 4-batched frame for GST_BUFFER?

1 Like

Hi,
Please use nvstreammux plugin for filling the information to NvBufSurface. You may check this config file for deepstream-app:

/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream/samples/configs/deepstream-app/source2_csi_usb_dec_infer_resnet_int8.txt

By default it is one v4l2src and one nvarguscamerasrc. You can change to 2 nvarguscamerasrc first. If it works, then change to 4 nvarguscamerasrc.
If you don’t need the inferencing, please disable [primary-gie]

Thanks for reply! I’m a bit surprised that there is no recommendation to use “programmatic” approach to do such transformation and I’m pushed to use nvstreammux element. Can’t I perform this (seemingly basic) operation of copying EGLImage into pre-allocated dmabuf from batched NvBuffer in my own element?
And why did it work in JP4 device (deepstream 5.0 and l4t 32.4.4) and doesn’t work on newer libraries?