How to use kinect API functions inside CUDA programming

Hi,

I am a newbie to CUDA programming.Since i like CUDA very much, i like to display kinect depth data,skeleton data and video data in CUDA. IF i include kinect header files inside .cu file, it is throwing the following error.

identifier “IUnknown” is undefined.

Error 57 error MSB3721: The command ““C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\bin\nvcc.exe” -gencode=arch=compute_20,code="sm_20,compute_20" --use-local-env --cl-version 2012 -ccbin “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64” -IE:\Spirans.3DViewPort\Wrapper -I"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v2.0-PublicPreview1409\inc” -IE:\Win32Project1\multisensors -I"D:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\Boost\include\boost-1_56\boost" -I"E:\Win32Project1\multisensors\glfw-3.1.1.bin.WIN64\glfw-3.1.1.bin.WIN64\include" -IE:\Win32Project1\multisensors\oscpack -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\Eigen\eigen3" -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\include\pcl-1.7" -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\Boost\include\boost-1_56" -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\FLANN\include" -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\QHull\include" -I"C:\Program Files\PCL 1.7.2\3rdParty\VTK\include\vtk-6.1" -I"C:\freeglut-2.8.1\freeglut-2.8.1\include\GL" -I"C:\freeglut-2.8.1\freeglut-2.8.1\include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Leak Detector\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\include" -G --keep-dir x64\Debug -maxrregcount=0 --machine 64 --compile -cudart static -g -DWIN32 -D_DEBUG -D_WINDOWS -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE -Xcompiler “/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /RTC1 /MDd " -o x64\Debug\cudaMeshCreation.cu.obj “E:\3DViewPort28-3\3DViewPort\Win32Project1\cudaMeshCreation.cu”” exited with code 2. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\BuildCustomizations\CUDA 7.5.targets 604 9 3DViewPort

Please help me to solve this error and able to see my kinect depth data in CUDA.

Thanks
Ulaga

I have no experience with the Kinect SDK, but generally the preprocessing steps for .cu to separate device and host code tend to interfere with using other libraries.

I always separate CUDA code from non-CUDA functionality (user interface etc), compile them separately and link them together afterwards. This also makes it a lot easier to produce non-CUDA versions from the same source code.

Maybe someone on the forum has more specific experience with Kinect however.

A quick remedy might be to put all Kinect-related #includes inside “#ifndef CUDA_ARCH” . That way they are only included into the separated-out host code (as they are useless in device code anyway).

Thanks for your answers.

As per your suggestion i have also included kinect header files inside #ifndef CUDA_ARCH, still it throws the same error.

From your answer , i have understood that kinect sdk functionality could not be included in CUDA coding.

If i understood correctly,whether i have to convert all my kinect code to pure C++ code and then should i include it with CUDA coding.

I have couple of doubts regarding .cu files.

1. Whether all C++ variables,statements and methods will be supported by .cu files.
  2. Can i use C++ int,float and string arrays inside .cu files.
  3. What are the datatypes supported by .cu files.
  4. What will be the alternate to include Kinect sdk datatypes inside .cu files.

Thanks
Ulaga