Installing cuDNN

I’m on step 3 of section 3.2 of this installation guide. Installation Guide :: NVIDIA Deep Learning cuDNN Documentation . My goal is to be able to load the dynamic library cudnn64_8.dll . The instructions say to copy some files into some destination folders. I have the files. But I don’t have the destination folders. Should I create the destination folders such as C:\Program Files\NVIDIA\CUDNN\v8.x\bin or was I supposed to get these folders from somewhere else? To be clear, I don’t even have C:\Program Files\NVIDIA\. I only have C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation and C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit.
I’m running some TensorFlow code and I get this warning.
2022-10-02 22:39:44.797031: W tensorflow/stream_executor/platform/default/dso_loader.cc:60] Could not load dynamic library 'cudnn64_8.dll'; dlerror: cudnn64_8.dll not found
What should I do?

2 Likes

Hi @urkchar ,
Which version of cudnn you are using?
I believe this post should be able to help you.

Thanks!

I solved the issue using miniconda3 to install TensorFlow and most of its requirements. This topic may be closed now. Thank you.

1 Like

I have this exact same problem. What should I do?

1 Like

I have the same problem. I have installed CUDA Toolkit 11.8. Am trying to install cuDNN 8.4.1.50. Can downlod the file. The instructions ask you to unzip it in the . What Do I create a new folder called NVIDIA|cuDNN\v.8.4.1 in my program files? The instructions are extremely convoluted. I wish someone would post clear instructions. I will try using miconda3. However, do I not need this to be installed and have an environment path for me to use it in Tensorflow 2.10? Thanks

3 Likes

you have to put environment variables in windows.
First create for example a tools folder in C.
Put in cudnn and tensorrt folder separately.
In environment variables windows put in path:
cudnn/lib
cudnn/include
and tensorrt the same

Came here with the same question. Sadly I don’t see an answer that is relevant. If I figure it out, I’ll post the answer. The instructions need to be updated.

1 Like

I figured out the answer, there is a new name for the folder.

For me, instead of

Copy bin\cudnn*.dll to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA\CUDNN\v8.x\bin.

I had to do

Copy bin\cudnn*.dll to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDNN\v12.x\bin.

This also applies to the ‘include’ and ‘lib’ folder.

If people are curious about my version, I’m on 12.1

4 Likes

I had the same problem and no answer to be found.
So to install cudnn I just use what I have, I have this in my machine “C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v12.1\bin” so I used it and it seems like working.

I said it was working as I was able to compile get the darknet.exe based on the steps below

Before I install cudnn, I used to get the error “Could NOT find CUDNN (missing: CUDNN_INCLUDE_DIR CUDNN_LIBRARY)” in the cMake logs.

1 Like

I have the same problem,I don’t have the floder “C:/NVIDIA”,so sad.It waste a lot of time

Same problem here, don’t have C:\Program Files\NVIDIA\CUDNN\ or C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDNN\v12.x. OMG Nvidia just please double-check the installation guide before publishing.

1 Like

Configuring these drivers is utter torture. All support files lead to oudated instructions, with specify versions THAT DO NOT MATCH what folder structure they actually use. I found an older archived PDF, that for whatever reason, matches the file paths you’ll see, with the version that are usable in popular neural network packages. I don’t yet know if it will work, but the folder names actually match.

1. Copy the following files into the CUDA Toolkit directory.

a). Copy \cuda\bin\cudnn*.dll
to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\vx.x\bin.

b). Copy \cuda\include\cudnn*.h
to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPUComputing Toolkit\CUDA\vx.x\include.

c). Copy \cuda\lib\x64\cudnn*.lib
to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\vx.x\lib\x64.

HELLO NVIDIA. Can you update your support documentation? We’re suffering here as customers.

10 Likes