Installing NVIDIA-docker on RHEL 7.9

System information:

Operating System: RHEL
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.9:GA:server
Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64
GPU: 4x NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal)

Hi, I’ve spoken with Red Hat about my questions below, but they didn’t have specific answers, and they suggest that I contacted NVIDIA support.

My server has RHEL 7.9 set up on it. I would like to figure out if it is possible to install nvidia-docker on it so that I can run containerized-GPU compute jobs on it.

I have several questions:

1. In reviewing Red Hat’s instructions for installing CUDA drivers for RHEL 7, they indicate that the NVIDIA driver is also required. Is this driver required if you are not displaying onto a monitor (e.g., connecting to the RHEL server for remote GPU compute)?
    NOTE: Nvidia-docker specifies that the NVIDIA driver is required, whereas the CUDA driver is not required.

2. The NVIDIA-docker toolkit currently specifies that it only supports up to RHEL 7.7. Do you know if it is possible to get NVIDIA-docker working on RHEL 7.9?

3. Do you know if the Docker version support on RHEL 7.9 (as shown by these instructions getting Docker on RHEL 7) includes Docker >= 19.03? This version range is indicated as a recommended requirement for nvidia-docker.

4. Do you have any other recommendations or suggested instructions for getting nvidia-docker set up on a RHEL server for remote GPU compute? Is a different version of RHEL 7 needed to make this possible?

Note, I initially submitted an email query and was told by Lohith in Customer Care that I needed to post my question here.

Thank you.

Resources:

Since these are very specific questions regarding cuda and nvidia-docker, you might want to also ask in the cuda forum:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/c/accelerated-computing/cuda/cuda-setup-and-installation/8
At least I can only give an answer to 1)
The nvidia driver is always required, it provides the hardware access to the gpu for cuda (and for graphics). With RHEL 7, you should install it from a repo like EPEL or rpmfusion.

Additional info, support for RHEL 7.9:
https://nvidia.github.io/nvidia-docker/
looks like the info on supported platforms you had hasn’t been updated for a while.

1 Like