Jetson-Inference questions (detection delay and jetson_utils.videoSource reconnect)

I’m using jetson-inference and have some strange

1. camera1 = jetson_utils.videoSource(‘rtsp://…@192.168.0.153:554/live’, argv=[‘–input-codec=h265’,

How to detect that the stream is broken and how to reconnect? For example in case of network problems.

Maybe someone has more elegant solution than this?`

try:
        if camera1.IsStreaming(): #lets check if camera 1 is streaming
            img1 = camera1.Capture() #lets capture image from camera 1
        else:
            add_log("Camera 1 is not streaming")
            try:
                 camera1.Close() #lets close camera 1
            except:
                add_log("Camera 1 could not be closed")
                continue
            try:
                camera1.Open() #lets open camera 1 again
            except:
                add_log("Camera 1 could not be re-opened")
                continue
    except:
        add_log("Capturing frames from camera 1 failed")
        continue
  1. It seems to me, that detection engine is behind from real image frames. It’s like image data to detection somehow is few frames behind always.

Ideas?

Hi,

1. You can find more jetson-utils samples below.
Maybe you can add a handler when the img returns None:

2. Would you mind sharing a longer video?
It’s expected that the detection is applied per frame so it should not be a delay.

Thanks.

1 Like

There are 2 videos.

One of them is when cpu is almost 100% used and another is when its only about 50% used (it depends how many video feeds i ask).

There you can see how bounding boxes are some frames behind from actual video.

The script itself is:

While True:
try:
input_img1 = camera1.Capture() #lets capture image from camera 1
except:
add_log(“Capturing frame from cam 1 failed”)
continue

if config.detector == 1:
    dcounter = 0 #lets reset detection counter
    detections1 = net1.Detect(input_img1, overlay="box,labels,conf") #overlay="box,labels,conf" #lets detect objects on image
    cudaDeviceSynchronize()
    cudaMemcpy(out_img1, input_img1) #copy the image (dst, src)
    for detection1 in detections1:
        dcounter += 1 #lets add one to counter
        mvcam = 1 #camera ID 1
        dheight = int(detection1.Top)
        dright = int(detection1.Right)
        dleft = int(detection1.Left)
        dbottom = int(detection1.Bottom)
        dclassid = int(detection1.ClassID)
        dconfidence = round(detection1.Confidence, 2) #lets use only integers (no point to be to percice)
        dobjectid = int(detection1.TrackID) #lets save object ID also from jetson-inference tracking
        filename = f'{image_folder}/{mvid}-1-{did}-{dsid}-{dclassid}.jpg'
        filename_to_db = f'/data/defect/{today}/{mvid}-1-{did}-{dsid}-{dclassid}.jpg'
        for i in range(3):
            for j in range(len(detection_array)):
                if j < len(detection_array):
                    if (detection_array[j][2] == (dsid - i) and 
                    detection_array[j][1] == mvcam and 
                    detection_array[j][5] == dclassid and 
                    abs(detection_array[j][8] - dleft) <= 200 and 
                    abs(detection_array[j][9] - dheight) <= 200 and 
                    abs(detection_array[j][10] - dright) <= 200 and 
                    abs(detection_array[j][11] - dbottom) <= 200):
                        detection_array.pop(j) #lets remove similar objects from array
                    for dcls in allClasses: #loop through all classes, find longitudinal pointed stripe defect and remove dublicates
                        if dcls[0] == dclass_id and dcls[1] == "1": #if class_id is found and its longitudinal pointed stripe defect and it exists, remove it
                            detection_array.pop(j) #lets delete detection from array if there is multiple 
        detection_array.append([mvid, mvcam, dsid, did, dcounter, dclassid, dconfidence, dobjectid, dleft, dheight, dright, dbottom, 0, 0, filename_to_db, "", input_img1, filename]) #lets add detection to array

via flask app:

Define the route for streaming video

@app.route(‘/video1’)
def video_feed1():
add_log(“video_feed1 is called.”)
# Return a Response object with the generator function that converts the frames to JPEG format
return Response(generate_frames(out_img1),
mimetype=‘multipart/x-mixed-replace; boundary=frame’)

and frames will be generated:

Define the function that captures video frames and converts them to JPEG format

def generate_frames(ximg):
while True:
# allocate the output, with half the size of the input
cudaDeviceSynchronize()
vimg1 = cudaToNumpy(ximg) #lets convert it to numpy array
vimg1 = cv2.cvtColor(vimg1, cv2.COLOR_RGB2BGR) #lets convert it to BGR to avoid seeing blue image
# Convert the numpy array to JPEG format
ret, jpeg = cv2.imencode(‘.jpg’, vimg1)
if not ret:
break
# Yield the JPEG data as a byte string
yield (b’–frame\r\n’
b’Content-Type: image/jpeg\r\n\r\n’ + jpeg.tobytes() + b’\r\n’)

And the right second video (in last post see only the last one), where you can see how boundingbox is “floating”

And GPU usage was about 60-80%, when viewing via jtop.

And:

#lets define where to copy images

out_img1 = cudaAllocMapped(width=1920, height=1080, format=‘rgb8’) #lets allocate memory for output image stream 1

out_img2 = cudaAllocMapped(width=1920, height=1080, format=‘rgb8’) #lets allocate memory for output image stream 2

out_img3 = cudaAllocMapped(width=1920, height=1080, format=‘rgb8’) #lets allocate memory for output image stream 3

out_img4 = cudaAllocMapped(width=1920, height=1080, format=‘rgb8’) #lets allocate memory for output image stream 4

and:

#lets load camera 1 and define focuser

camera1 = jetson_utils.videoSource(“csi://0”, argv=[“–input-width=1920”, “–input-height=1080”, “–input-rate=30”]) # select camera 1 - Capture a frame and return the cudaImage

focuser1 = Focuser(30)

#lets load camera 2 and define focuser

camera2 = jetson_utils.videoSource(“csi://1”, argv=[“–input-width=1920”, “–input-height=1080”, “–input-rate=30”]) # select camera 4 - Capture a frame and return the cudaImage

focuser2 = Focuser(32)

#lets load camera 3 and define focuser

camera3 = jetson_utils.videoSource(“csi://2”, argv=[“–input-width=1920”, “–input-height=1080”, “–input-rate=30”]) # select camera 2 - Capture a frame and return the cudaImage

focuser3 = Focuser(34)

#lets load camera 4 and define focuser

camera4 = jetson_utils.videoSource(“csi://3”, argv=[“–input-width=1920”, “–input-height=1080”, “–input-rate=30”]) # select camera 3 - Capture a frame and return the cudaImage

focuser4 = Focuser(35)

and:

net1 = jetson_inference.detectNet(argv=[‘–model=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/ssd-mobilenet-v2.onnx’, ‘–labels=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/labels.txt’, ‘–input-blob=input_0’, ‘–output-cvg=scores’, ‘–output-bbox=boxes’, ‘–confidence=0.3’, ‘–input-width=1920’, ‘–input-height=1080’, ‘–input-rate=30’, ‘–tracking=True’, ‘–tracker=KLT’, ‘–tracker-min-frames=1’, ‘–tracker-lost-frames=5’, ‘–tracker-overlap=0.5’, ‘–clustering=0.5’, ‘–batch_size=2’])

net2 = jetson_inference.detectNet(argv=[‘–model=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/ssd-mobilenet-v2.onnx’, ‘–labels=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/labels.txt’, ‘–input-blob=input_0’, ‘–output-cvg=scores’, ‘–output-bbox=boxes’, ‘–confidence=0.3’, ‘–input-width=1920’, ‘–input-height=1080’, ‘–input-rate=30’, ‘–tracking=True’, ‘–tracker=KLT’, ‘–tracker-min-frames=1’, ‘–tracker-lost-frames=5’, ‘–tracker-overlap=0.5’, ‘–clustering=0.5’, ‘–batch_size=2’])

net3 = jetson_inference.detectNet(argv=[‘–model=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/ssd-mobilenet-v2.onnx’, ‘–labels=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/labels.txt’, ‘–input-blob=input_0’, ‘–output-cvg=scores’, ‘–output-bbox=boxes’, ‘–confidence=0.3’, ‘–input-width=1920’, ‘–input-height=1080’, ‘–input-rate=30’, ‘–tracking=True’, ‘–tracker=KLT’, ‘–tracker-min-frames=1’, ‘–tracker-lost-frames=5’, ‘–tracker-overlap=0.5’, ‘–clustering=0.5’, ‘–batch_size=2’])

net4 = jetson_inference.detectNet(argv=[‘–model=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/ssd-mobilenet-v2.onnx’, ‘–labels=/home/visioline/install/jetson-inference-devit/python/training/detection/ssd/models/jw512/labels.txt’, ‘–input-blob=input_0’, ‘–output-cvg=scores’, ‘–output-bbox=boxes’, ‘–confidence=0.3’, ‘–input-width=1920’, ‘–input-height=1080’, ‘–input-rate=30’, ‘–tracking=True’, ‘–tracker=KLT’, ‘–tracker-min-frames=1’, ‘–tracker-lost-frames=5’, ‘–tracker-overlap=0.5’, ‘–clustering=0.5’, ‘–batch_size=2’])

maybe this information is needed…

Hi @raul.orav, it appears that you have tracking enabled, which can introduce some lag in the bounding boxes when the track is lost (it keeps lost tracks for --tracker-lost-frames=N number of frames in case the track is re-gained). I’d recommend to try disabling tracking and see if the delay goes away.

I found it - KLT tracker does this, IOT also. My “bad”, i didn’t thought that the tracker does this way.

Yes, this is it. I didn’t thought about it. My mistake. Sry.

No worries, glad that you found the culprit. I did recently add some basic documentation on the tracking in jetson-inference: https://github.com/dusty-nv/jetson-inference/blob/master/docs/detectnet-tracking.md I will say however that DeepStream has much better tracking algorithms available.

1 Like

With deepstream and TAO etc - the main problem is that it’s hard to find right manual or documentation. I played with some docker applications but still havent got “right touch” with it.

Actually i’d need a good training enviroment where to build TAO models and INT8 but while playing with some dockers one problem followed another :)

I think there should be something like CVAT + pytorch-ssd + TensorBoard all in one but haven’t found it :)

I spent some hours with DIGITS, but its too old …

Adding the CVAT package to the jetson-inference container could be an interesting solution, then you could run the CVAT annotation server/webpages right there from your Jetson. I will make a note of this to discuss with the CVAT team if they’ve run their server on ARM64 platforms before.

1 Like

It seems that CVAT is old, tested and still maintained, it’s not NVIDIA but in my opinion quite good product.

I think the training process should be also simpler, i imagine that after finished training and validation dataset annotating it should be few mouse clicks and you should see training process, training data, etc.

I think from nvidia point of view it could be wize to build a CVAT addon module where you can train models for deepstream. So you can build model on server/pc/nvidia graphics card and use it on jetson.

For example, if your model is larger and in dataset there are 5000+ images, event NX is a bit slow.

I think if in CVAT you could train INT8 for deepstream and also to use it with auto annotation and see some training dashboard - it could be a dream come true :)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.