Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit Cooling Options

Hello Nvidia team,

I am currently working on a data-logging project that involves using the Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit. Looking through the data sheet, I see that the operating temperature is 0°C to 35°C for the Developer Kit.

The Jetson will be installed inside a polypropylene equipment suitcase along with several other electronic components. During an indoor powered test, I placed a thermometer inside the closed suitcase and observed the internal air temperature reach approximately 101°F (38°C).

My concern is that the system will eventually be operated outdoors, where ambient temperatures may reach approximately 105°F (41°C). Since the enclosure temperature is already rising above ambient during indoor testing, I am concerned that simply adding circulation fans inside the suitcase may not provide sufficient cooling in hotter outdoor conditions.

Would the Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit be suitable for operation in this type of environment? If not, what thermal-management approach would you recommend, if any?

The specified operating temperature range is the condition required for the DevKit to achieve its maximum performance. If you are running heavy workloads on the DevKit and the ambient temperature exceeds this range, it can lead to thermal throttling or a thermal shutdown.

However, if your workload is relatively light, there is a possibility that it would operate normally even outside of that temperature range. I highly recommend conducting thorough validation using a thermal chamber before making a final decision on your external chassis.