Jetson Xavier AGX Gstreamer python plugin creation help

Hardware: Jetson Xavier AGX
Jetpack: 4.4
Deepstream: 5.0

Hi all. I have a pipeline where I have a heavy probe callback function attached to the src on my tiler and it definitely causes the pipeline to slowdown a ton. From what I read on this forum and in other places people say that if you need to manipulate metadata you should create a new plugin to do that.

I am trying to create a plugin without having to write and maintain any c/c++ code so I am attempting to follow something like this http://lifestyletransfer.com/how-to-write-gstreamer-plugin-with-python/ mixed with https://medium.com/@karthickai/using-gstreamer-plugin-to-extract-detected-object-from-nvidia-deepstream-104879cc7154.

The problem I have is that I cannot seem to install gst-python, which I believe is what is required to provide the libgstpython.so lib that will import my plugin. All of the solutions I can find say to install gst-python from source or even gstreamer-python (which seems to be broken currently).

Has anyone had any success getting something like this to work on a Jetson Xavier AGX recently?

Just as a small update, I was finally able to download and compile gst-python from source. Now I have a differently problem that I am not sure how to fix. It seems to me like it should be working. I also tried to clear the cache already and still have the same issue.

root@nvidia-desktop:/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.0/app# echo $GST_PLUGIN_PATH
/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/:/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.0/app/plugins/
root@nvidia-desktop:/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.0/app# ls /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/ | grep python
libgstpython.cpython-36m-aarch64-linux-gnu.so
libgstpython.la
root@nvidia-desktop:/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.0/app# gst-inspect-1.0 python
No such element or plugin ‘python’
root@nvidia-desktop:/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.0/app#

Hi,
In current releases, this is not supported. We will add this to the roadmap to provide a sample for writing a plugin in the future.

On current releases, you can customize dsexample plugin. You may check

/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.1/sources/gst-plugin/gst-dsexample/README
/opt/nvidia/deepstream/deepstream-5.1/sources/gst-plugin/gst-dsexample/gstdsexample.cpp

And see if you can customize it to your use-case.

Ok thank you for the reply!