KDE Neon 6.0 bug LLVMPIPE

Hello
How to solve the problem on Kde neon with nvidia? LLVMPIPE appears after the update, even with the latest version it does not work.

Nvidia GTX 1050 DRIVRE 535.161.07

Thanks

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Please also post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

I’m new to Linux, so I’ve been researching KDE Neon 6 in (wayland) mode doesn’t work, only in x11 mode. Nvidia card reports are not compatible so I came here to ask for help to find out if there is a wayland mode.

Yes, this is why I asked to post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

If it outputs “N”, it’s disabled.

Only this y appears, nothing else and, see the print

Then it’s already enabled, “Y” is for yes, “N” for no. So there’s a different issue. So I need the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

Sorry for my ignorance in Linux… How do I get into nvidia-bug-report.log.gz? through the terminal?

Yes, run “sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh” then the file should show up in your home directory.

Look

then the file should show up in your home directory. nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

Yes, I found the file.nvidia-bug-report.log.gz. I copied it to the desktop. What do I do with the file now?

Please use the upload button, horizontal line with upward arrow in the line of formatting options when writing a post.

1 Like

look
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (353.5 KB)

It looks like an issue with either the new kernel in KDE Neon 6,
and whether or not nvidia’s driver properly installed with it, or that you are using wayland which sometimes has issues with nvidia’s driver.

What you do is log out, and from the login screen you select to use
X11 session instead of wayland session, and if it’s a wayland problem that will solve the issue, otherwise if it’s a kernel problem, try to reinstall the driver, or use a different kernel.

If it’s a wayland problem, and switching to X11 plasma session from the login screen works , X11 will be your default session automatically the next time you boot up, and you can try to get wayland working, by reinstalling the driver, or installing a different kernel version and see if that will work. If you don’t get any error messages and dkms during the install reports everything is okay, that should be fine.

edit: i used kde neon’s most recent version before the latest update to plasma 6, and I remember that I could never get wayland to work, and had to use X11 instead. I think I remember that neon has it’s own repository for nvidia drivers, and their driver does not work with wayland, and that is the main issue. Using a newer nvidia driver from a different source, or ideally neon’s if they ever change it, should get it working for wayland sessions.

That’s what I did… I did a clean install of Kden neon 6.0. It does not work in (wayland) mode only in X11. I’m using the newest Nvidia driver. That’s why I left this message here to see if the team can fix this bug with the Nvidia card.

According to the logs, kwin_wayland is running on the nvidia gpu. Please post the output of
glxinfo -B

What command do I have to give? I’m new to Linux.

He says it works better when opening a video on YouTube in 4k, it looks bad in (wayland) mode.

In X11 mode it works normally.

Ya know what generix mentioned something that made me realize
I didn’t understand fully what nvidia’s modesetting was
and I found a whole bunch of helpful information about your specific issue
on the archlinux wiki…

I checked /proc/cmdline and found a misconfiguration. I added nvidia-drm.modeset=1 kernel option to wrong config, so it was not applied.
With nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in kernel cmdline, even without nvidia modules in initrd, X/Wayland starts normally.
If nvidia-drm.modeset=1 kernel options is absent, nvidia driver starts to segfault even if modeset is enabled using /etc/modprobe.d/.

Since NVIDIA does not support [automatic KMS late loading], enabling DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) kernel mode setting is required to make Wayland compositors function properly, or to allow for [Xorg#Rootless_Xorg]

To enable it, set the modeset=1 [kernel module parameter] for the nvidia_drm module.

To verify nvidia_drm.modeset=1 was correctly applied after a reboot, execute the following:

cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Wayland

so what this boils down to is that you have to add the command

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

to your kernel command line. Generally you do this in /etc/default/grub
and update-grub to reflect the changes, and it should work.

Hopefully you can get it working… KDE neon is one of my favorite distro’s
and wayland is pretty awesome too…

cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset (permission denied)

nvidia-drm.modeset=1 (command not found)

USING THE TERMINAL kONSOLE.