launching kernels - basic error and I can't spot it.

HI I’m learning CUDA C at the moment in the hope that I will be able to run micro simulations of health populations in parallel rather than it taking 4days to run in Excel.

I’ve started by trying to write a kernel that takes the values of a 2D array and repeats X Ytimes in a 1D array. This is a basic step needed to initialise a population in a microsimulation.

But I get an “expected expression” error underlining the third < in the kernel call and I don’t know why. I’m using visual studio 2015 as an editor with the NVIDIA pack downloaded. I’ve stared at this for a couple of days now and could do with some help.

Thanks

Code as follows

#include “cuda_runtime.h”
#include “device_launch_parameters.h”

#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>
#define SQUARE 2

global void makepop(int *a, int *b)
{
int tid = blockIdx.x;
int e = 0;
int i = 0;
int c = 0;
int d = 0;
if (tid < SQUARE)
{
c = a[tid, 0];
d = a[tid, 1];

for (i = e; i < d + e; i++)
		b[i] = c;
	e = e + d;
}

}

int main(void)
{
int a[2][2];
int b[20] = { 0 };

int *dev_b;
int *dev_a;
int c;
int d;

a[0][0] = 11;
a[0][1] = 2;
a[1][0] = 22;
a[1][1] = 10;

cudaChannelFormatDesc channelDesc = cudaCreateChannelDesc<int>();
cudaArray *cuArray;
cudaMallocArray(&cuArray, &channelDesc, 2, 2);

cudaMalloc((void**)&dev_b, sizeof(int));

cudaMemcpy2D(&cuArray, SQUARE, a, sizeof(float)*SQUARE, sizeof(int)*SQUARE, SQUARE, cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);
cudaMemcpy(&dev_b, b, sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

makepop<<<1,1>>>(dev_a, dev_b);

cudaMemcpy(b, &dev_b, sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost);

for (c = 0; c < 20; c++)
{
	printf("%d\n", b[c]);
}

cudaFree(dev_a);
cudaFree(dev_b);

return  0;

}

This is probably an intellisense “error” and not a real error. A real error is one that prevents successful compilation. You need to be careful when looking at the error list in VS2015 to differentiate between intellisense errors and actual compile errors.

Anyway this topic is discussed extensively on the web. If you’re not sure, google “cuda red underline”