Licensing for h264 Videoencoding with nvcunvenc.lib How to use this in commercial app?

Hello,

we tested the videoencoding performance of the h264 encoding and we were impressed both by speed and ease of intergrating this into our code.

Now what are the terms for using this in a commercial application? I couldn’t find any further information than the part in the license.txt:

[codebox]

C. Licensee represents and warrants that any and all third party licensing and/or royalty payment obligations in connection with Licensee’s use of the H.264 video codecs are solely the responsibility of Licensee.[/codebox]

What exactly does this mean? Do we need to license anything from NVidia to use this? Or does this only refer to the h264 patent we need from www.mpegla.com?

Best regards,

dimo

Hello,

we tested the videoencoding performance of the h264 encoding and we were impressed both by speed and ease of intergrating this into our code.

Now what are the terms for using this in a commercial application? I couldn’t find any further information than the part in the license.txt:

[codebox]

C. Licensee represents and warrants that any and all third party licensing and/or royalty payment obligations in connection with Licensee’s use of the H.264 video codecs are solely the responsibility of Licensee.[/codebox]

What exactly does this mean? Do we need to license anything from NVidia to use this? Or does this only refer to the h264 patent we need from www.mpegla.com?

Best regards,

dimo

Dats cool to know. I am downloading 3.2RC to see what exactly do they support…Hmm…

Dats cool to know. I am downloading 3.2RC to see what exactly do they support…Hmm…

I suppose you just need license for h264 and if you have it you can get cuda codec for free.

I suppose you just need license for h264 and if you have it you can get cuda codec for free.

(or) Does CUDA Codec use any third party library inside?

No, but if you use it you may need to pay royalties to the mpeg consortium or however they are called.

No, but if you use it you may need to pay royalties to the mpeg consortium or however they are called.

Thanks!!! If that is the case…, it must be true of any encoding tool in the market, right?

Thanks!!! If that is the case…, it must be true of any encoding tool in the market, right?

According to the official h264 license, that’s true. I’m not sure about the specifics though. It seems to depend on use (free internet broadcast, vs. for pay streaming, etc). I also don’t know where open source implementations such as x264 stand, as I believe they still depend on the same patents and just supply a free implementation.

By the way, as far as I know NVIDIA’s implementation is based on the x264 one. There are also commercial GPU encoders which are supposedly better. forgot their names at the moment, can look them up later on.

NVIDIA avoided a public release, among other things to avoid the problem with licensing AFAIK.

Have a look about the costs at

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Rea…ArticleID=65357

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/02/…264-license.ars

According to the official h264 license, that’s true. I’m not sure about the specifics though. It seems to depend on use (free internet broadcast, vs. for pay streaming, etc). I also don’t know where open source implementations such as x264 stand, as I believe they still depend on the same patents and just supply a free implementation.

By the way, as far as I know NVIDIA’s implementation is based on the x264 one. There are also commercial GPU encoders which are supposedly better. forgot their names at the moment, can look them up later on.

NVIDIA avoided a public release, among other things to avoid the problem with licensing AFAIK.

Have a look about the costs at

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Rea…ArticleID=65357

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/02/…264-license.ars

LaughingRice, Thanks for the detailed repsonse!

I think “Elemetal tech” were pioneers in this field.

And, It is good to know they are actually based out of “x264”. Thats pretty good!
I have seen “JM” reference implementation produce slightly better compression than x264… but runs for ever… so slow…

Anyway, Thanks for the links and details! Very useful!