List of icons

Is there a list explaining the different icons that appears in Stage? It would be great to understand what they all mean.
Here are som examples of icons:

image (8)
image (7)

2 Likes

Hello @Jack_Jensen! I wasn’t able to find a list of icons in our documentation so I reached out to our UI and Documentation teams. I will post here once I have more information! Great request, btw!

Hi @Jack_Jensen! Just wanted to give you an update on this. The documentation team is working on an update that will include the stage icons and their meanings. I will post back here when they have had a chance to publish it!

Until then, please have a look at the Type column inside the Stage browser (which you cut off in your screenshot).
That tells what each primitive inside the stage is exactly and that should also make clear what the base icons mean.

The orange arrow on top of an icon means it’s a Reference.
The blue “I” character on top of an icon means it’s Instanceable. (See the check box inside the property window.)

E.g. in your screenshot the mesh primitive named “defaultobject” is under a referenced instanceable Xform, and that’s also why it’s greyed because you cannot edit sub-trees beneath referenced instanceable primitives.

1 Like

I was also looking for a list that explains the different icons.

Hi there,
I know this is an old topic, but any update on the list of icons?
Thanks

1 Like

I’d third (or fourth) that request. I saw it mentioned on a documentation page that “References are represented as orange arrows and payloads as blue arrows” so it would be nice to get links to the explanations on how each of those differs as well (as well as links to how deltas work and so on).

Could you please share the link where I can find the meaning behind the different icons?

Here is our general help for USD Composer. Everything should be in there. Are there specific icons you are asking about ? USD Composer Overview — Omniverse USD Composer latest documentation

I’m still looking for a good explanation between the orange and blue arrows on xforms.

This documentation result I got from your link doesn’t really make me understand anything, because it’s just feels like technical jargon. It doesn’t explain any real-world consequence of their use in an easily digestible way for a non-tech user (I’m an industrial designer, for example)…

For example, I have a STEP file I imported into my stage (not as a reference), yet for many parts which are unique, there’s an orange “reference” arrow on their xforms even if the part is not instanced…